Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 584
Total Comments: 1198

Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum)

Information

Common Name: Onion Plant
Proper Name: Crinum thaianum
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 23 - 30 C
PH: 6-8
Lighting: Low,Medium
Growth Rate: Slow,Medium,Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: South-East Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
The onion plant is an easy bulb plant that grows in most conditions. It grows roots fairly quickly, but has a long acclimation period before it starts growing new leaves (usually a couple weeks). The long ribbon-like leaves are tough but snap easily. It doesn't usually have more than about ten leaves at a time, but each leaf grows to (or well over) a YARD long. Hence, it has a minimum tank size: 20 inch tall tank or more. Tank pictured is 27 inches tall. [B]It puts a few unique demands during planting: Peel off all dead leaves and peel off the outer layer of the bulb. Trim off most or all of the roots. Then, bury the very bottom tip of it. If the whole bulb or even half is buried, the outer layer rots, turns clear brown and gets slime around the base. After it is growing well, you can remove old and broken leaves, which encourages new ones. A new leaf comes every 10 days or so, but probably faster in a high tech tank.[/B] Propagation is more difficult and slow than most plants. Maybe it is the high PH around here, but... Apparently it produces daughter bulbs eventually, and may even flower in the aquarium. I have never seen either of these yet... It needs a deep substrate of 2-3 inches. It does well with no CO2. I add no fertilizers, except for the odd root tab, and it does fine. However, it is pretty much the only plant in the tank: Tinfoil barbs and other plant eating fish don't eat it. To put things into perspective, tinfoil barbs eat java fern, hornwort and java moss. HERBIVORE SAFE. The lighting is about 1.5 wpg. It could make a background plant, if you have enough, (they cost at least 5 bucks a plant) but it could be a single specimen in the mid-ground as well in a tall tank, sort of like poor man's Crinum calamistratum.

F22
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
my crinum finally sent up a daughter plant( or at least the start of one) water conditions are.. ph 7.2, temo 78F, about 3WPG and a ton of flourish tabs in the gravel bed...

Abs

Your Avatar
this plant is excellent for boisterous fishes such as cichlids. grows slowly and can do with minimal lighting

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
An extremely breathtaking plant, easy to care for. These plants grow very long leaves though:D

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is a good one to fill up space. Patience is needed for this one. I like to use this singly in corners to form a thicker wall than jungle vals.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Hi I have a Crinum Thaianum as well. Do you remember how long it took for yours to make a daughter bulb? help would be great thanks.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Someone mentioned that it takes a while to sprout leaves. Perhaps this is only coincidence, but I left a package of bulbs in my car for a few days in very hot (85-90F) weather. Maybe the heat encouraged growth, because when I went to plant the bulbs, both the onion bulbs were already sprouted, but had not yet grown roots. They continue to grow in my aquarium now, but I don't want to disturb them to check for root growth yet.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
interesting

Your Avatar
Does anyone know how to properly trim this plant down for growth? I tried, and the edges just stay sharp and they're starting to brown over. This does grow pretty fast in my tank, however.

Images