Rising Japanese Moss Balls (Cladophora aegagropila)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1267

Rising Japanese Moss Balls (Cladophora aegagropila)

Information

Common Name: Rising Japanese Moss Balls
Proper Name: Cladophora aegagropila
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 20 - 28 C
PH: 6-8
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Slow
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Japan, Northern Europe (Mooskugeln), and Iowa
Position in Aquascape: Floating

C2C
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
what is the point of these

Your Avatar
they are unique...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I didn't know that they floated. I have always seen them on the bottom. Some places carry fake Japanese/Marimo moss balls, they are usally java moss on a syrofoam ball. They float if not weighted down. I am fairly sure that the true Marimo moss balls float.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Mine do not float, they just lay on the bottom. They're just hollow algae balls.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Sorry above it should say that "True Merimo Moss balls DO NOT float"

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
They don't float. They move around with a current maybe but I never seen one float..... I love my green furry ball :)

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I bought one of these and it had to be shipped all the way from the United Kingdom. After being in an envelope for about three weeks, it finally arrived in the mail and I put it in my tank. It is a vivid lime green color, despite being in an envelope for such a long time. In B16CRXT's case, what I can say is that B16CRXT used too much light, and that probably is what killed the marimo. Remember, it is a type of algae, and too much light can kill it. It does not need CO2 to grow healthy.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This plant is typically a deep green, not a lime green. Also, like all green algaes, it likes light and CO2 but does not need it it great quantities. I suspect the Excel was the cause of death in the previous poster's case. This is a hard plant to kill, but most nonvascular plants tend to be Excel sensitive.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Mine stay on the bottom but sometimes with pearling they will float and when you squeeze the water out of them and put them in they will also float for a while.

Your Avatar
I love these moss balls. I buy every one my lfs gets in. They're easy to keep alive, my Endlers seem to really enjoy playing with it when it roles across the tank, they look awesome, and they're lucky.

Your Avatar
I cut one of these up in an attempt to propagate it. It is not hollow as stated above. It is the same as the outside all the way through. Also, I found that you need to rotate the moss ball or the growth can be uneven. I have never had a problem with this plant thriving, even when placed in a tank with poor lighting, no CO2, and no added fertilizers. I was never able to get the same round shape out of the cut up pieces. The other day I was in a fish store and saw that they had cut one of these into sheets and rapped it over a rock.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I think they put this in the category of floating because it free floats on the bottom of the tank meaning it's not attached by roots.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
B16CRXT if it's a type of algae do not use excel... Excel is believed to have algeacidal properties.

Your Avatar
This plant can survive very low light and NO co2. They float when they aren't saturated with water (if you squeeze it out or it dries) and then will sink to the bottom where they will wobble and even seem to move on their own. The key to them being so round is riding currents and constantly rolling, not actually floating in the water constantly. The people who grow and sell them have very high currents in their tanks. But they can survive living in jars with NO fertilizers. Great addition to any tank. All of my guests say something about them.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had many of these great .. "plants" I guess is a good term for them.. awesome water filters.. when I would clean my tank I would take them out squeeze them out get all the nasty water out of them then put them back in my tank. I cut mine open they are hollow though I have seen some that are not.. I then netted them to a rock and it made a great moss covered rock once it established itself.

Your Avatar
Mine float when I put them in a large container with new water and lots of light. Happens within 1 hour. They pearl like crazy for a day after this, then they just loose the air and sink back down. You gotta round them with your hands every few weeks or else they become free floating tufts of strands

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I hate this stuff. I have it in a 2.5 and it has taken over. Now that I know the excel will kill it not help it, I will start dosing! :)

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
VERY low light. I have mine growing under a tiny 7w christmas bulb of incandescent lighting room light, no light at all on the weekends, no ferts or Excel, and it's doubled in size in the past couple years. I suspect it would not be able to compete against other plants in a high-light setting.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
These are not moss, nor are they rising. The name should be changed to "Marimo Balls," or even "Japanese Marimo Balls," though the latter would be incorrect as Cladophora balls grow in places other than Japan.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have had a marimo for six months. It did not float until today. I was cleaning the tank and it randomly floated right up to the top. So, let me assure you, they DO float. (And yes, I'm sure mine s a true marimo.)

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
not really floating plants as i have these were i work and they are not very nice tbh

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i have a few of these and they float usually after cleaning them and gently squeezing the water out of them. once full with water again they go right back to the bottom.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have had mine for a few weeks now in my shrimp tank. I don't use CO2 and moderate lighting and it's still green and healthy. My shrimp love it! They're always on it grazing happily. They do slightly float but that's only if I move it around while re-scaping or cleaning. You can always squeeze the air out so that it sinks. When I first bought my ball I bought a huge one (baseball sized) and split it in two. You just basically tear it apart and then try to roll it back into a ball - this part is a bit tricky! It took me forever but it finally rolled into somewhat of a ball shape and now I have two cute fuzzy balls in my tank :)

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I LOVE these little dudes! I bought one because the petstore advertised them as able to get rid of algae. Since I've had it, I've had very little algae on my glass or plants!

H is for Hillstream

Your Avatar
i bought two and cut them in half. i stuck them in my sand and they are so far holding up fine (2 weeks) they do get a little dirty as they tend to collect floating things. they make my RCS POP! and all my fish enjoy grazing on what get caught up in them. did i mention they look great near dark color woods.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A must have if you keep shrimp! They love to pick through and feed on the microorganisms.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
They float briefly in sunlight. Most of the time they sit on the bottom of the tank. Be sure to roll them around so they aren't laying on the same side to prevent browning on that side

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
In response to the individual who couldn't get their balls to grow even in great light, the problem would be your excel dosing. Marimo balls are an algae and just like overdosing with excel to control beard algae, so too will moss balls be affected. Separating these guys usually leads to poorly shaped children good for tucking into rock crevices.

Your Avatar
It does indeed float. In Marimo Lake in Japan, or tanks with Co2, they pearl in the evenings and float to the top. They are indeed slow growing, and are easy to propagate by tearing into pieces and allowing them to for new, smaller, balls. They serve as organic sponges; once a month, put them in a container of your tank water and squeeze them repeatedly. They'll release clouds of white. If you squeeze them out in the air, they float in the tank. I've seen people thread some fishing line through them and tie that to a stone, so they float in the water column. Squeezing them in the water and they stay on the bottom of the tank.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Japanese moss balls are actually a type of algae. They are really undemanding, and easy to take care of. They don't require special lighting to grow. However, they are pretty slow growers. If you have them in your tank, they can somewhat inhibit unwanted algae growth by competing for nutrients. Since they are a type of algae, that also means that they don't fare well with algaecides.

Your Avatar
I have had mine for about four years now. I bought it at Petco and just threw it in a tank with a bunch of goldfish, no CO2, and poor incandescent lighting. Never took a hit. By now it is in a better tank and is nearly 4x bigger but unfortunately no longer in a ball shape but instead consisting of many tufts. This algae can survive with virtually no light in my experience. A bunch of it had gotten stuck under a piece of slate up against the glass and months later when I rearranged my tank it looked absolutely no worse for wear. Although I have found that with high light it pearls and floats to the surface.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
VERY EXPENSIVE!

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I had one that been with my for a year...in low light. It did fine..but will be amazing to see it produce baby.. I love to have many of this in each of my shrimp tank....love them! Bought 1 from petsmart in those cup and it was full of algae...put in tank, all the shrimps gather and ate it. Low light and easy to care for, no need for ferts or excel..a bit of fert is fine.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Cladophora aegagropila, also known as Marimo Balls and Moss Balls; are soft, velvet-like, green algae balls are native to Japan and Northern Europe. In their native environment, due to photosynthesis, Moss Balls have been reported to surface during the day and sink in the evening. They make an interesting and unique addition to any aquarium. Moss Balls were originally thought to be very slow growers, but recent study and experimentation proves that the growth can be greatly accelerated with regular dosing of liquid nutrients and high lighting. For optimal conditions, Moss Balls require moderate to high light intensity of at least 3 watts per gallon from full spectrum (5000-7000K) bulbs, as well as regular dosing of liquid nutrients. CO2 can also increase the growth and vigor of Moss Balls. Moss Balls are propagated by division. Simply divide it into smaller pieces and they will also become spherical over time.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have two marimo moss balls - one of them in a vase by the window and one in my low light 55g fish tank. Yes, I am sure that they are the TRUE marimo moss ball. The one in the vase gets direct sunlight for about an hour a day. It produces bubbles that cause it to float for a while. The marimo ball in my aquarium gets only low light, and it does not float. This is truly a unique plant. It is fun to watch it float/sink throughout the day. I like the looks of it and enjoy having these!

Your Avatar
Mine floats. You have to squeeze them.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is a very strong but slow grower plant. no need ferts or co2 for this. They just need good lighting. And sometimes, but vey rare their own O2 bubbles can float them... And you can make like-velvet carpet with them. Just lay on a mesh like other mosses, let them take a good light.

Your Avatar
These will float, but you have to get the lighting right like natural lighting which nobody is usually able to with their tanks being by windows and/or in natural lit rooms. Then take in to affect the lighting people use on a regular basis in their home. But as for light, I've had them in a tank for a year now with no light and they are still going strong. Had a case of black beard, so cut the lights out. Love them, and I also get comments from everyone who sees them. A must have.

Images