Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1255

Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)

Information

Common Name: Banana Plant
Proper Name: Nymphoides aquatica
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 20 - 27 C
PH: 6 - 7.2
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: North America
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
The Nymphoides aquatica is known variously as the Banana Plant, Banana Lily, and the Big Floating Heart. It is most commonly called the Banana Plant because of its banana shaped roots. These unusual roots store nutrients.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'm not a big fan of this in the tanks, but planted outside for the summer in pots, in a foot or so of water, it makes really nice floating pads with white snowflake flowers in each leaf. In the fall every leaf forms another "banana" bunch.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Make sure that when you plant this the rhizomes ("bananas") :) are mostly above the substrate. Great as a specimen plant, but hard to incorporate in an aquascape. Max size is around 6", so it's really more of a foreground plant. You can propagate them using an adventitious plantlet or by pushing a full-sized leaf into the substrate, but they're best used sparingly.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I agree, these are a bit difficult to incorporate into a heavily aquascaped aquarium. But they are very interesting to view. These would be a great plant as the only plant to grow in an aquarium for a stark sort of modern "designer" look. Plus the leaves that form on the top sort of overshadow the plants below in the tank, thus reducing their ability to receive light.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A tough little plant. Has survived in my tank, even with lighting less than 1 WPG. I've upgraded my lights to about 1.5WPG -- it hasn't really grown, though.

Your Avatar
This is an amazing little plant .The secret is to add 5 - 10 to you tank and let them settle. Then root one of them in an area that you want them to live. Then put them all together one at a time .They will tangle, intertwine and root to the area. Then watch what they do! I find these plants very rewarding and responsive to CO2 . They will shoot up lilly pads to the top of the tank if the co2 is right.

Abs

Your Avatar
i had one of these and send up many pads with white flowers in bright light. i planted another in a low tech jar with no equipment and lighting is just indirect sunshine with one betta it still grows. growth becomes slow and the leaves turned a litle dull in color

Abs

Your Avatar
i had one of these and send up many pads with white flowers in bright light. i planted another in a low tech jar with no equipment and lighting is just indirect sunshine with one betta it still grows. growth becomes slow and the leaves turned a litle dull in color

Your Avatar
I have about 10 of these all bunched together, smaller fish like to hide under the pads. each one has about 4 or 5 pads at a time making a nice area of about 40 pads all along one side of my aquarium very nice. :)

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'm looking forward to mine surfacing.

Your Avatar
I adore my little Banana. It was the first type of live plant I tried in my betta's 10G. It's doing wonderfully since I got it about a month ago. I've only had one leaf die so far,otherwise it's all growth! I'm almost positive I don't have what would be considered medium light, but it doesn't seem to mind. I can't wait until it starts sending shoots to the surface.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNOJX4Y3Q0 Is my banana plant in my 120 gallon. If you have organic dirt in the substrate this plant WILL DO amazingly great. It needs a rich substrate and if it has it will become LARGE Lilly pad type plant.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Mine took a hit from green water and never recovered.. was neat to have, but didnt prove to be very hardy.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I just got one plant as a bonus, when I purchased a few other plants. It looks so beautiful and, after reading about it, I have a strong feeling that it will be my favorite pant in the tank. I like to provide plenty of light to the plants and will use a clip LD lamp. Adding an extra light from a side will remove the unnecessary competiton among the plants.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Very in interesting. When planting, just dont bury the bananas or rhizomes.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I got mine about two months ago, and it really hasn't stopped growing! Went from having three really wimpy leaves from the LFS, now it has 8 huge, lovely leaves, one of which has decided to surface, with the newest shoot hot on it's heels. I have it growing in a 5 gallon tank, medium-high light, no CO2, and sporadic ferts. I can definitely see how in a huge planted tank, it would seem puny really fast, but in my 5, it is lush and works wonderful as a mid-ground plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This was one of my first plants. It's a very hardy plant. I've had this grow and thrive even in very low light. Growth is better and the leaves get bigger with good lighting, but it seems to adapt well to different conditions. I currently have 3, one of them I grew from a mature leaf that had fallen off. The leaf came off and floated on the surface, I saw it growing a root so stuck it in the substrate and that's it, another plant. Just be sure not to bury the banana looking roots. The plant will quickly decline to let you know if it's planted too deep.

Your Avatar
I have had one of these banana plants in my tank for about 2-3 weeks and already has 3 shoots up to the surface with lily pads. After doing some reading, it said to propogate the plant you push the formed leaves into the substrate. Would the leaves on the bottom get buried in the substrate or the lily pad like leaves. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Images