Amazon Frogbit (limnobium laevigatum)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1266

Amazon Frogbit (limnobium laevigatum)

Information

Common Name: Amazon Frogbit
Proper Name: limnobium laevigatum
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 4 - 32 C
PH: 6.0 - 7.5
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Tropical america
Position in Aquascape: Floating

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
i love this stuff as it grows extremely fast and sends a shoot out about once a week

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love the structure of this plant. I have a few of them floating around in my 30g. The growth isn't much to talk about but I'm assuming that it's because all the plants in that tank are adjusting to major pH an lighting changes.

C2C
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
does great in ponds

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Had some in a bowl, a pond and an aquarium. The seem to like shade, as in the ones in the pond got cooked. Gouramis seem to like to eat the roots, so avoid keeping them together.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
In a low tech tank they can be difficult to grow, but you can have success with them. If you're growing them from start ups, watch your current (I keep mine in a floating feeder). Beware if you have pond snails. The snails will eat them like no tomorrow.

Your Avatar
had some in a 15 gallon...think my light was too bright for it, seemed to burn under a 6400 k.... but biggest thing was it turned the water murky..anyone heard of this? when i removed the plant the water cleared in one hour. too bad, i really liked the look of it....

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I keep frogbit in a 40gallon hex. 2.6wpg of CFL High Output with DiY Co2 and twice a week Flourish Comprehensive. It grows like crazy and could cover my surface in 3 weeks if I let it. I MacGuyver'd up a ring with an extra check valve and airline tubing to contain the Frogbit and then put an airstone on either side of the tank and the spray bar positioned so that the ring of Frogbit gently rotates in circles. The roots sway in circles. I have a gold gourami as a centerpiece fish and he does eat the fuzzy roots, but they grow faster than he can eat. Edit: The shadows cast by the ring of Frogbit in my moonlighting is absolutely amazing to see.

Your Avatar
Unfortunately this plant takes its rapid growth outdoors. In CA, this is an A rated noxious weed that they are spending millions of dollars to control to prevent it from choking waterways. Do not discard this plant in water systems and do not grow it outdoors where it can escape. It has the potential to be worse than water hyacinth as an aquatic pest.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Loved this when I had it, I got rid of it though a while ago and replaced it with water lettuce, big mistake, frogbit was much nicer looking, and the roots were great, I actually had to trim the roots because they got so long.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I love how this plant looks from the top and side. I've had roots grow as long as a graceful 4 inches or so! It thrives in brackish tanks up to 1.005, but quickly died in my 1.008 spg tank. The 1.005 brackish has a 6,400K CFL and it is actually doing better in there than under the unspecified Kelvin LED aquarium light in the freshwater tank.

Your Avatar
Limnobium laevigatum is considered as invasive in waterways in California by California Food and Agriculture and the California Invasive Plant Council

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Have some growing in my lowtech aquascape. really love this plants and the shrimp like it too. i see my cherries chilling on the roots and under the leaves. grows pretty fast i notice new branches all the time

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is a really undemanding plant, can be either a pond or aquarium plant. It can survive frosting temperatures, though not well. Does very well in a tank about 75F, but is stunted at 80F. If you trim off all the new baby shoots on a plant for quite a while you get a nice large leafed even looking plant. Makes good miniature lily pads if viewed from above. Good koi and goldfish snack.

Your Avatar
I've tried putting this in my tank on 2 different occasions, and both times, it did great for the first few days but then it died! I seriously cannot keep it alive! Anybody have any ideas as to why?

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Easily one of the most undemanding aquarium plants I've kept aside from Hygro polysperma. I've kept it in both hi-tech and low tech setups. Every now and then I have to toss out a basketball size bunch of it.