Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (Echinodorus Angustifolia )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1273

Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (Echinodorus Angustifolia )

Information

Common Name: Echinodorus 'vesuvius'
Proper Name: Echinodorus Angustifolia
Category: Echinodorus
Temperature: 20 - 30 C
PH: 6-7.5
Lighting: Low,Medium,High
Growth Rate: Slow,Medium,Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Brazil
Position in Aquascape: Background,Mid-Ground

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
A lovely and easy mid to background plant that has little demands and can also be grown under intense situations. Rate of growth is dependent on the type of tank, from low tech to high tech. Propagation by runners

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
The proper name would be E. angustifolia var vesuvius. The common variety of angustifolia is a straight leaf, looking very much like a form of tennellus.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
3.3wpg Daily fertilizer dosing and Pressurized Co2, this plant grows runners about 2 inches per day. Needs good water circulation and weekly water changes will keep this plant clean.

are you experienced?

Your Avatar
Slow grower in low light, works best in medium to high light tanks. Mine grow new runner plants weekly, about 4" a week growth on runners with 2.4 wpg and diy c02. Needs good flow to grow and stay clean.

zxc
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
can anyone let me know what kind of plant behind this plant?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I haven't had very much success with this plant. While it looks lovely, it seems to grow slow, and I have a lot of problems with the tips of the leaves browning and melting away. I'm using Flourish and Flourish Excel, plus plenty of DIY CO2 with plenty of water changes. So far I've had one of these guys nearly die out from being choked out by my other plants.

Abs

Your Avatar
does this is a marginal pond plant? Pls answer........

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These are tough little plants. I bought one with my initial set up, and my tank went south, and just about everything in it died. The only thing left are some amazon swords that have seen better days, and these guys. Except now I have 6 of them. They propagate by runners, and I had one send a runner all along the back of my tank and establish a new plant on the other side of the tank. In a low tech setting like mine they don't grow very fast. Can be a bit of a headache if you plant too close to a stem plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I bought 2 of them, had them since my tanks inception. After a year of improper treatment, just cutting them, rare water changes and supplements they lived through everything. The only problem I face now is that it is no longer swirly, they are all straight but the main plant has produced a lot of runners.

Your Avatar
Just got this plant a little while ago. Something to note: It may come in an emersed (sometimes called 'potted') state. In this form it bears little resemblance to the pictures on the right. It looks more like this: http://www.floridaaquatic.com/images/E.vesuviusnew018_000.jpg I was really surprised when it showed up on my door looking nothing like what I ordered. I even made a call to the plant manager @ Aquariumplants.com (where I ordered it from). I sent some pics and he assured me that it was, in fact, the plant I'd ordered. He was right. After just a few days the leaves started curling (even the emersed growth) and the new growth looks exactly like what you see in the pics here.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant grows great in my 10 gallon (13w spiral bulbs, co2 and ei dosing). It puts out new runners every couple of days and grows to the water line. I put some in my 29 gallon (medium t5ho lighting, co2, and ei dosing) and it stays about 3-4 inches tall and hasn't sent out any runners. I'm not sure why it does so much better in the 10 gallon - maybe it's getting more light. Has an awesome look to it - one of my favorites.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
It does not response very well on moving. Almost every time I replant one, the existing leaves will die out. But it is a tough plant. Once it settles down it become a messy grower. The thing it does most often is sending out runners, like crazy. But the thing that drive me nut is that it does not send runners into substrate, it send them high up towards water surface. I have it in my high light 10 gallon tank, and it only take a month or two for it to shade half of the surface with runners of runners.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i believe this is the plant i have. It has been shooting off runners like crazy but doesnt seem to grow as tall as i once thought it did. It seems to be growing a furry brown algae on its edges.

Images