Water Spangles (Water Spangles)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1276

Water Spangles (Water Spangles)

Information

Common Name: Water Spangles
Proper Name: Water Spangles
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 68 - 86 C
PH: 6.0-6.8
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Central America and Mexico
Position in Aquascape: Floating

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
It looks a lot like Salvinia Minima

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Sorry it is. Forgot to add that in the name. Maybe next time i will have my coffee first :)

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Under good light, Slavinia minima will quickly spread to cover your entire tank, unless you manage it. Excellent for sucking nutrients out of the water, and very pretty. Easier to control than duckweed. illegal to own in some southern states

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
It looks like it's a highly invasive water fern in the US so be careful if you own some, I just got a single piece by accident in some Riccia I purchased, I'm going to see if it will grow and divide but I'll make sure it's dead when it goes in the trash.

amp
Algae & Guppy Grower

Your Avatar
I think Salvinia Minima is even more invasive then duckweed. In the tanks I keep it in it out grew the duckweek, almost wiping it out. I actually like Salvinia better than duckweed since its larger and grows in connected clumps its much easier to handle.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Covered my tank in a week or so! I can't even throw it away it grows so fast. Great for taking out nutrients lol

Your Avatar
This plant is handy as it provides a place for my African butterfly to wait under. as people say they are very good at removing nutrients from the water, and grow well under good lighting. the only problem i have currently is that my PH in my tank will not seem to fall below 7.5 even with added ph down. however they are still growing, just slower than usual.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Salvinia Minima is great for those fish that build bubble nests. ie, Bettas, gouramis etc. Also good for fry to hide in and also shrimp like to pick around in it.