Red Arrowhead (Syngonium podophllum v. 'Regina Red')
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 588
Total Comments: 1241

Red Arrowhead (Syngonium podophllum v. 'Regina Red')

Information

Common Name: Red Arrowhead
Proper Name: Syngonium podophllum v. 'Regina Red'
Category: Terrarium Plants
Temperature: 20 - 28 C
PH: 5 - 8
Lighting: Low
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Florida
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
this plant is a bog plant. it will not survive in submersed conditions for too long

Your Avatar
It's a tropical plant--prone to root rot if left in water. Not meant to be underwater except for propagation (to get leaf clippings to root).

local fisherman

Your Avatar
As other comments, it is not an aquatic plant. I didn't have it, but read a lot about it being a bog plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Sold at Wal-Marts in the pet section. Fully submerged in the aquariums.

Your Avatar
So today at petco I bought what is called a aquatic combo. So because I am new to live plants i didnt know these are not true aquatic plants. There are two other plants that came with it that are also non aquatic. Why do they sell these as aquatic plants. So tomarrow I am taking them back and getting my money. This makes me mad because I really liked this plant but ill just buy some water lilies or those banana lilies.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is an amazing plant, but for a bog, or a paludarium. Also, the leaves are toxic, so it may be harmfull to fish. I got it on a hanging planter on a terrarium, looks amazing on the top trailing the water spray bar, and it is perfect to hide tubes, etc.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
At least it's listed here in the category of "Terrarium Plants". This is a rainforest plant that will NOT survive fully submerged in water. If you mistakenly buy one as an aquatic plant you can always just plant it in a pot of soil, it makes a beautiful houseplant and can get fairly large.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
syngonium nepthytis is a similar variation of this plant... I run syngonium-nepthytis fully submersed and it is consistently sending roots to the substrate and putting off new leaves. Looks great and it's growing crazy in my backyard since the rains.. both in my ponds and in the ground.

Abs

Your Avatar
Looks like one of my hanging plants in the balcony

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Like what the others say, they aren't fully aquatic. Different color morphs are sold throughout. I recall Petco usually always selling the white one. While Wal-Mart usually sells a red morph. @rvj013, Petco has the tendency to enlist anything that can grow in a boggy environment(Mondo Grass, Acorus sp., Dracaena/ Lucky Bamboo sp., Aluminum Plant, Purople Waffle, etc.) as a fully submersible plant...

Images