Aponogeton ulvaceus (Aponogeton ulvaceus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 588
Total Comments: 1239

Aponogeton ulvaceus (Aponogeton ulvaceus)

Information

Common Name: Aponogeton ulvaceus
Proper Name: Aponogeton ulvaceus
Category: Aponogetons and Criniums
Temperature: 20 - 27 C
PH: 5 - 8
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: Madagascar
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Aponogeton ulvaceus is one of the most beautiful species in the Aponogeton family. The leaves are delicate light-green and transparent with fluted margin. A single root can produce more than 40 leaves. This means that the plant is best as a solitary plant in large aquariums. It is relatively tolerant, and thrives in both soft and hard water, particularly if CO2 is added. There are many varieties of Aponogeton ulvaceus, some of which need a dormant period when the root does not produce leaves.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This plant is truly phenomenal. I ended up getting it in bulb form. I placed the bulb in a 5 gallon, low tech, non-c02 tank with only a 10 watt corallife colarmax compact fluorescent. The bulb produced huge leaves like there was no tomorrow. I had to keep pruning leaves weekly to keep the leaves from choking out the whole tank. While it is classified as being most suitable for a medium light tank, I highly question this, since it turned out to be a real tank buster in a low light tank.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
this is def my favorite plant. its easy to grow in any light conditon in my experience and is beautiful.

Your Avatar
I planted a bulb in my 110 galon tank and added a plant food tablet in the soil. I have four T5 grow bulbs and am adding homemade CO2 (sugar and yeast mixture). The plant is thriving and putting out new leaves all the time. It even sent out flowering stalks. Does anyone know if these floweres can be used to propogate the plant?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I got a bulb for one of these plants about 2 weeks ago and planted it right side up with the top exposed out of the substrate. (I was told to do this by the guy who sold it to me.) So far I have seen absolutely no growth. Does anyone know how long do they normally take to get started? Is this bulb a dud?

Your Avatar
does anyone know where i am able to purchase an Aponogeton ulvaceus and a Aponogeton madagascariensis

Your Avatar
This really is a beautiful plant but...... when I put it in my 55 gallon tank with my angels it got shredded by one the angels. It is starting to grow back but I definitely won't trust my angels with another ulvaceus. but otherwise it is one of the most elegant plants in my tank

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
bulb took a full month to get to where leaves are about 4-6"'s

Your Avatar
Can someone please tell me if it is normal for the bulbs to float?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
does anyone know what makes this plant happy enof to flower? and if i should try and keep the flowers out of the water?

Your Avatar
I've found this plant strangely easy to grow from bulb to 20-30 leaves in about a month. While my pleco has an occasional munch on it, it seems pretty resilient. My tank is about ph7.4 (hard water) , 200 litre with about 1.3W per gallon(UK). Weekly feed of liquid fertiliser. It seems so happy in fact that a flower stalk (about 18 inches) grew, floated for about a week and produced a fine pair of flower stems (picture 4 to the right when validated).

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
After about six (6) months of taking over our 29 gallon freshwater, our Aponogeton ulvaceus appears to be going dormant. We have no idea what the variety is, it isn't the bulb variety, and it flowers profusely. I wonder how long it will stay dormant?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
When first purchased, mine produced many leaves and quickly dwarfed my sword plants. Light green leaves were stretching to the top of my 90G tank. Then, it switched to producing flowers. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 flower stems at once. The pollen easily falls off the blooms, so I pull them out of the water column to finish blooming. And, now, 8 months later, the leaves are dying back, but still blooming. Not sure why. Today I have only a handful of leaves and 2 flowers. A great addition to a large sized tank. Grows very quickly under high lighting.

Your Avatar
had great luck with this plant in a 15 gal. when DIY co2 is going it really flurishes with lots of o2 bubbles on each leaf. gets big. and i got 4 flowers emerging from the surface at one time....

Your Avatar
I got one of these plants in my 30gal. Low tech no co2 and I noticed the flower stalks grow at an amazing rate. Roughly 3 inches a day reaching for the surface. I've never had a plant grow this quickly!

H is for Hillstream

Your Avatar
i have one of these in a 10gal shrimp tank. i bought it cheap because my lfs got a new freshwater guy and he didn't know what the plant was. its been in my tank about two weeks now with eco-complete and it has really taken off, about 10 new leafs and one flower. very beautiful plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
To answer some peoples' questions- the bulbs will float around if not planted in the substrate. Yes you can propagate the plant via the flowers, but to do so you need multiple plants- then you simply dust off some pollen and apply it to the other plant. This plant may be in a dormant period if its not sprouting after a week or so, especially if no roots have emerged from he bulb (unless it has not sprouted yet ever, in which case it might take longer for a bulb that has been on a shelf for years to adapt to the warm water and start growing...just leave it for a couple more weeks). ...this plant gets enormous, the leaves dont prune well as they grow massive single leaf stems rather then multiple shoots from each stem...Id recommend a tank with lots of top space for the plant to expand. They grow mostly from their roots, and can suck nutrients and added ferts up faster and hungrier than just about anything youre growing, so watch out for it out competing your slow growers. Bulbs can be puchased in some chain stores but there is no guarantee all the bulbs will be the same species or correctly labeled. I got mine at an LFS, and recently saw them on an online plant retailer. If you cant find the site Id be glad to share it with you. They ship typically as sprouts because the plant is huge and the leaves dont bend well, they just break. Get a huge area ready to grow it! Light is less relevant than substrate. Itll grow nuts in a nutrient rich substrate almost regardless of light quantity.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I havent had the best of luck with this plant. Not sure why. I first grew mine in low light and I was thoroughly disapointed when i found that the plant would 'cheat' and grow new stems and then once the stems which havent developed leaves yet reached the top, THEN the twirly leaves would grow. I suppose it was the plant trying to maximize its profits. In high light it did much better. But it will grow and thrive in low light, it just doesnt look pretty IMO.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
This is my centerpiece plant because it is my favorite. It gets HUGE and constantly seeing visible growth every day. It loves root tabs and liquid ferts. I'm about to start adding co2 (currently dosing excel) and I'm literally a bit scared at the rate this plant will grow after co2 starts....daily trimming might be needed! My loaches love to hide in the curls of the leaves....very beautiful plant.

Images