Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1260

Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis)

Information

Common Name: Madagascar Lace
Proper Name: Aponogeton madagascariensis
Category: Aponogetons and Criniums
Temperature: 15 - 25 C
PH: 5.5 - 6.8
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Hard
Origin: Madagascar
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground
Description  
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Aponogeton madagascariensis which is known as the Madagascar Lace Plant, is one of the most highly prized plants in the hobby. Its leaves are broad and long with a very delicate lace appearance. Under the right conditions, these plants will flower regularly in the aquarium. This plant is more demanding than most, but is well worth the extra effort. Plant the Madagascar Lace Plant singly in the mid-ground part of the aquarium as a focal point. Trim any dead tips on these plants, to inhibit the entire leaf from decaying. Do not allow algae or any other debris to settle on or within the leaves. Provide a high amount of light in the range of 3 to 5 watts per gallon, using full spectrum (5000-7000K) bulbs. Reproduction with this plant occurs through bulb separation, or formation of seeds after flowering. Allow the new plant to develop a root system and immature leaves prior to separating it from the mother plant. At that time, it can then be planted in a different location.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Very difficult plant to keep. And you won't find it anywhere.

Your Avatar
I have two of these wonderful plants. I got them at the same time. One is growing like crazy and the other one is, well, doing nothing. The plant is absolutely beautiful, however it has posed a danger to one of our fish, as the leaf acted like a fish net and caught one of them. I found that this plant does not like to be moved once it is settled into one place.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I ordered one form dr fosters and smith and have had no success. The plant almost died on me. I keep getting care tips that contradict each other and the more I read on this plant no one really knows it's conditions. One site says low light another says up to 5 watts per gallon. I did find one cool fact about this plant. Almost all of the species availible in the hobby are taken straight from the wild. I trimmed the dead/dying leaves and added more iron and I am seeing gradual improvement. My lights are around 3 watts per gallen and a I supplement light with a bay window. Zero algea problems. Yamato Green is my trace.

Your Avatar
I have had one of these for about two years now. When I first put it in my tank, it took off like crazy. Soon It was almost too big for my 46 gal tank. Then after an algea explosion, I thought this plant was done for. I moved the bulb(with its one tiny leaf) to another tank with better lighting and co2. And it is putting out a couple of leaves per week. I have read that this plant requires a dormancy period.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My experience with this plant is that water temperature is a huge factor... the suggested upper range of 77 deg. in my experience is usually and automatic death sentence to them.

Your Avatar
With reservations, I accepted a lace plant as a substitute in a large plant order. Besides the general bad rap for the lace, I have a high temp tank (80-82F). It came in good shape, with leaves up to 26" (the height of water above substrate). Over a couple of weeks time all leaves died, but immediately new ones began growing at a rate of one 8-10" leaf per day! If it continues to grow and survives, this will be a magnificent plant.

Abs

Your Avatar
very hard to FIND and KEEP! these plant needs low lighting or algae will quickly kill it. debris free water and lots of iron this plant can be a perfect for a showstopper in your tank. i keep these plants with anubias and cryptocorynes with 10 killifishes in my 30 gallon tank.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
i love this plant, i have the narrow leaf variety as they arent as prone to 'algae clogging' which kills the leaves. I have had good success with this in a low tech, low light tank, the only thing i have really noticed is if i dose some iron then new shoots appear over night. Great looking plant once established. Not sure what i will do when i need to give it its rest period??? woohoo, i have just noticed that it is flowering!! still just a stem with a seed pod at the moment so dont know what sort of flower... :)

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've ripped all the leaves off mine just to see if it would die. It is immortal.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
I have found the plant loves a nutrient rich substrate or at least plant tabs underneath the bulb. It has done very well in my tank in varying conditions. I have had the bulb for over 4 years with no dormancy and temps above 77 the whole time. I currently have a high light tank and it is doing very well.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is by far my favorite plant though I lost all of my nearly 24 inch leaves when I was on vacation and I had an algae spike. It's coming back strong though. My biggest advice is to have a nutrient rich substrate and NEVER move it. If you take care of it youll be rewarded with an interesting flower.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Maybe I am lucky? But this has been a super easy plant for me. I got mine at an auction. It's leaves were brown and dying. I took off what I could and planted it. Now it's throwing out 3-4 leaves a week. No co2, moderate lighting. No ferts added. Kept in 77-78 degree water.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Heavy root feeder mine has done well in dirt.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have this in dirt, and after about two-three weeks of it getting adjusted it has just taken off. No co2, just dirt and weekly water changes

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have the narrow leaf variety and truely love this showcase plant. The gentleman at the store said that it was a newer more rare variety that is easier to grow than the normal variety's often seen (when their seen). After having this plant for 3 months I can honestly say it is growing like a weed. I have it in shallow (9") tank with high lighting and a fine grade inert substrate buried halfway. I recently added root tabs as I do every 3 months and it began shooting out leaves weekly almost instantly after adding. I just recently double dosed my Iron for my red plants as I do on occasion and the lace began shooting out new leaves almost daily now. I have it in moderate to high flow with amano and cherry shrimp which keep it algae free.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Is it allowed to post a link which I thought had alot of good information? if not please remove :) http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-secrets-of-the-madagascar-lace-plant.htm

Images