Lesser duckweed (Lemna minor)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1272

Lesser duckweed (Lemna minor)

Information

Common Name: Lesser duckweed
Proper Name: Lemna minor
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 15 - 30 C
PH: 6 - 8
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Very Easy
Origin: Cosmopolitan
Position in Aquascape: Floating

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
This duckweed has only one root per thallus lobe.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Nice surface covering plant for a any kind of light set-up. I started with only three little single ones. Since then its reproduced enough of it to completely cover a 55gal, 29gal, 20 gal long, and a 5gal in two months. Spreads fast but extremely hard to get rid of.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
i love this stuff it grows like crazy in a medium light no Co2 tank

Your Avatar
This stuff is the bane of my exsistance. grows extremely fast and crazy hard to get rid of.

Your Avatar
One of the best NO2-NO3 cleaner in the tank.Together with Eichornia crassipes are used in purification of water procedures.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I am possibly one of the few people who have managed to kill them off faster than they can reproduce. I believe it was the low pH of the water and that one of our bulbs was a 12000K ..Those two issues have since been addressed though. So, the duckweed is making a comeback :) As a side note, if you happen to also have a separate goldfish tank, you could just dump them into that tank if you're trying to rid yourself of it from another tank . They love to gobble it all up.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I hate this stuff -_____-

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Baby angel fish like to eat the root off this stuff. Good plant for helping cycle a tank.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I had the worst case of this stuff imaginable. I put two $4.99 size oranda into my 150 gallon high light/CO2 tank that was completely overrun with duckweed. I netted as much of it as I could, then let the Oranda have at it. When I returned from an out-of-town trip 2 weeks later, I had big, fat Oranda and not a spec of duckweed.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
It is close to impossible to get rid of this plant. It does provide a floating carpet, very good to provide shade to other plants, but a mess if you got to catch a fish or work on the tank. I now sell it on ebay as goldfish natural greens.. :) They seem to love it, so does turtles and most platties and mollies.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I literally put one tiny tiny leave from a lake here in Canada into my 90 gallon, and about a month later It has taken over the surface of my aquarium. Every time I'm doing a water change or cleaning the glass/sand I take out buckets of this little devil. Does keep the water clear though.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I HATE this stuff! Absolutely impossible to get rid of, and it clogs up everything. The worst thing about it is that anytime you put your hand in the tank to do something, you come back out with your arm covered in it.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
i had to throw this stuff away, riccia is still worse than this IMO. but this plant is good for preventing algae.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
My goldies ate about $10.00 worth of Duckweed in two hours.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These hitched hiked into my tank... i started with one and got hundreds what bad is that they got stuck on my riccia and mixed and it almost impossible to separate the two.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had this stuff hitch in to my tank on a plant I purchased... took me about 2 weeks of meticulous picking to get it all out..

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Maintain high surface agitation and this stuff will stay at bay. It likes slow moving water

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Haters be hatin'

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
You'll either love it or hate it, but one fact is clear: This plant is an awesome plant for cleaning water. It is especially useful in nano tanks to keep the aquatic environment stable.

Your Avatar
I actually loved the look of duckweed so i stole some from our tank in the bio room at college... and it grew all over my tank in days and my power filter ate a bunch of it and died of indigestion... good times.

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
In my opinion, this is the easiest plant to maintain and grow. The plant does best in still water, so try to avoid a HOB power filter. Regardless of the conditions, hard water or soft water strong light or low light, temperate or tropical this plant reproduces very quickly once established. It can be annoying that it gets everywhere, but it does act as a nutrient sponge sucking up nutrients that can otherwise contribute to unwanted algae growth. I have it growing in my cold water tank, but I never turn the lights on. It gets by through some sunlight.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I am growing them outside in a 5G, I added cup of soil and liquid ferts and in a few days it covered it and starting a 2nd buckets. My hungry tetras will make them vanish like they did the first batch I had. I kept a small batch to propogate.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
i'm prolly the only one that loves this stuff :P

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Duckweed? More like F-weed!

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I love this stuff and agree about it being better than riccia, because it doesn't shred and lets light in. If mine gets too thick it takes 2 minutes to net it back to nothing and within 2-3 weeks it's back to where it was. I also have plenty of agitation in the tank. It thrives!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love duckweed!! It keeps algae at bay and the water sooo clean. It kept dying on me for a bit then exploded. I had about 1/8 covered in a 3.5 gallon and then it covered about 3/4 O.o Great for betta tanks. I personally did not find it that hard to get rid of.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
If your not a fan of small duckweed try Giant Duckweed Spirodela polyrrhiza. Same as small version just about 5x bigger. Way easier to handle and a lot easier to get rid of.

Your Avatar
I have been going to the local lakes and creeks to get my duckweed. Had it in my 180g tank and my redtailed tinfoils loved it. The stuff didn`t last long enough to really clean the water. I started to put is in my 22000g pond. It did well for 6 months. Now it just turns brown and sinks I guess. At one time there was a huge bunch of caterpillars all over. The water has turned green since the duckweed keeps dyeing off. I do have a lot of surface agitation.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
DON'T DO IT! I was just like you when I first got into aquatic plants with my big cichlids and what not, I thought I wouldn't care if the plant got out of control, I WANTED it to take over my tank. I saw those comments online about how impossible it is to get rid of, I didn't care. YOU WILL CARE! This duckweed cost me thousands of dollars in equipment by clogging all of my filters, It killed off many plants, fish suffocated here and there, I lost my prized breeding trio of zebra pleco. Thats was 3 years ago, now im off the stuff. But the only way I was able to get rid of the duckweed was by removing all of my fish and plants that I wanted and pouring 5 gallons of double dose hydrogen peroxide directly into the tank. it bombed my tank, but at least I didn't have to take it down.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I liked this stuff in my mini-4 gal. It's a natural scrubber of excess nitrogen compounds, and it's got a "natural" look. But the outflow / agitation from my HOB filter eventually destroyed the crop! I tried to build a barrier with some floating sticks and ties - and that did work for awhile - but, eventually the agitation moved the floating sticks away and the duckweed dispersed and failed.