Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1286

Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Information

Common Name: Water Wisteria
Proper Name: Hygrophila difformis
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 24 - 28 C
PH: 6.5-7.5
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Very Easy
Origin: Asia Minor & Southeast Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
One of the most versatile, easiest and undemanding plants you will ever find. Grows well in almost any lighting condition, co2 or non-co2, can be planted or left floating. It grows very fast, great in newly set-up tanks to get a good plant mass/density started in a matter of weeks.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
It grows very well in newly set up tanks and in low maintenance tanks. Its leaves are shaped differently based on the amount of light that they receive and they give contrast to the rounded leaves of red ludgwedia and other similar plants. it definetly adds texture and a very light green color to any tank. highly recommended.

Pelvicachromis Lover!

Your Avatar
It has survived in a low tech tank with 1.8wpg light, no ferts, no CO2 (not even excel), but the growth has been slow and poor. I recently planted some more in my high tech tank with 2.88wpg light, EI ferts, injected CO2, and it is growing very quickly and beautifully! I think the main difference is the CO2. When I have dosed my low tech tank with Excel, the wisteria grew much better. Low light brings out wider leaves while high light brings out much thinner leaves with a lacy appearance. Very nice either way. Extremely easy plant that's great for beginners.

Your Avatar
Wisteria is my favorite plant in my tank. It grows vigorously and has very interesting leaf shape and attention-getting color. The best things about it is its "behavior." I've never heard of Wisteria behaving like this but at night my plant closes up. The top branches, the ones that receive the most light, seem to "close up" and go to sleep for the night. In the morning, when the lights come on, they bloom and re-open to their normal positioning. Its very fascinating and gives this plant a lot of personality!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Best plant ever, this plant will grow no matter what, and if a little care is taken can look great. If you have a low tech setup this thing thrives anywhere.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I finally purchased a few bunches of Wisteria and I am kicking myself for taking so long to do so. It is growing quite fast. It almost keeps up with how fast hornwort grows. I am glad that such a beautiful plant like Wisteria is touted as an easy plant to grow. I am looking forward to using this quite a bit in ten gallon tanks.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I really enjoy this plant for creating "caves" for my small fish. The cover it provides keeps my gold ring danios and green neon tetras feeling safe enough they stay out all day and are never skittish. If you are keeping little fish, and they spend all their time hiding under or behind something, add some of this to your tank. Don't want co2? no problem, get a bottle of flourish excel, dose once a week with a water change, and that will be good enough. Care? when it gets too big, just cut it off where ever you feel like with scissors. It will get too big! Planting? Umm, chuck it in, get it stuck in the gravel, or near the gravel, it'll root. It's not picky about substrate in the least. If you have some, it'll root.

Abs

Your Avatar
my wisteria is a god choice to. because its easy to grow. i place some in my cold tank abd noticed that the leaves become less branch and poor growth. when i place it on my tank with heater and bright light the leaves become branch again! excellent choice for begginers!

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
As with most other Hygrophila species, this plant is very adaptable to water conditions. Propagation is accomplished by cuttings.I kept this plant in low light and high light and it did well in both. Overall a highly recommended plant for either a low tech or high tech setup.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I don't think it's possible to kill this plant. I bought one from petco in one of those little plastic tubes and when I pulled it out, it was almost all rotten and the roots all fell off. So I planted the wisteria stalk in in .5g betta bowl in sand and flourite under a tiny halogen desk lamp and now, just two weeks later, it's massive and healthy with lots of leaves and a full root system. The very definition of easy to grow.

Your Avatar
I love this plant. It is easy and grows fast. It works great to fill in space and as background. I get a lot of cuttings that take off quick and you only need a couple bunches to fill out a tank if you keep growing and prune it. I have mine in 78-80F with CO2 Injection and ferts added often. So far I had a bunch that grew to 2' tall before I pruned it and now it is almost the same height again after a short period.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
This plant has actually been suffering in my tank because I believe I have a nitrate deficiency, as well as a potassium deficiency. I'm guessing I just do water changes too often and too big for the nitrates to build up, sometimes I wait two weeks but a lot of the time I was doing one 50% water change once per week, I was a little OCD about that, so the moral of this story is don't make your tank too clean.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The possibilities are endless with this plant. You can grow it vertically or horizontally. You can have a big bush of water wisteria or a individual stalk that grows like a tree. It can quickly crowd out neighboring plants so be aware of placement and be ready to trim often.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Grows super fast in my tank, best in medium/high lighting and moderate flow. I literally threw away 3 feet of it! They are very pretty but they will take over an aquarium. Even a single leaf that got ripped off would grow roots and more leaves, even a small stem!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Amazing plants for a starter aquarium. Don't try to keep it planted in the substrate. That's pretty much impossible. A better way is to let it float in your tank and grow new growths. in my lighted tank, the new growths were brighter in color and more spindly. Then after about 2 inches of new growth, cut away the old growth and throw it away since it will likely be dying anyways. Let the new growth float in the water. Soon it will form "cups" with blooms on both sides. As an added bonus, fish love resting in their bushels.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant can grow 1-2 inches a week with excel, fertilizer, and high light. Probably one of the better nitrate aborbing plants in my opinion. It is also capable of growing emerged, with different types of leaves growing.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have tons of this in my 2 lowtech planted tanks. I love wisteria its probobly my favorite plant, and shrimp love it. My cherrys chill on it all the time and it looks really good when u have a mix of the 2 different leaf formation. Not too mention it makes a great hidung spot for fry. Wisteria is an all around great plant and looks good in any aquarium.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
This is a weed! I cant seem to ever get rid of the stuff. This stuff does not flower, its a fern i think, and I keep it in high tech, low tech, even the windowless garage with nothing but overhead incandescent. Mine responds to moving stress with explosive growth. Be careful, this plant can propogate off nothing but a stemless leaf, take a half inch skin slice of a leaf and watch it for a week, it'll probably have babies on it within a few days.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Great plant for tanks populated with grazers or destructive fish. It takes the abuse and seems to benefit from it. Put a rock on a stem and it will root easily, or eventually the stems will root without substrate. It also will spread laterally if unobstructed.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i had this stuff growing in a 29 gallon with a single t8 and now that I know better and have a better set up I need to trim it every other day

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The first time I bought Wysteria, it rotted and died off in a matter of weeks. This was before my CO2 setup but I was dosing with Excel. I then got some given to me by a fellow aquarium enthusiast and it started growing like wildfire. I've found a lot of store bought plants I've bought have rotted and died. At this point all my plants are thriving, a mix of Water WYsteris, 3 Amazon Swords,Crypts, Java Fern,

Your Avatar
I got a few plants to experiment with (my first try at aquarium plants) and I got some "water wisteria" that looks absolutely nothing like what is being described. Are there any variations of wisteria that have a thicker stem and oval shaped leaves?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
One of the best plants I've ever encountered. Mine have grown in low light without any fertilizers. Zero maintenance needed it'll take care of it's self.

Images