Hygrophyla difformis (Hygrophyla difformis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 588
Total Comments: 1239

Hygrophyla difformis (Hygrophyla difformis)

Information

Common Name: Hygrophyla difformis
Proper Name: Hygrophyla difformis
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 20 - 30 C
PH: 5-9
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: South East Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Hygrophila difformis is beautiful and undemanding. A plant for beginners which can help create a balance in the aquarium from the start. Its rapid growth helps prevent algae because the plant absorbs a great number of nutrients from the water. The shortage of micro-nutrients leads to pale leaves, which may be an indication that the aquarium needs fertiliser. In large aquariums its lobed leaves can create a distinctive group. [TROPICA]

Pelvicachromis Lover!

Your Avatar
The name for this plant is misspelled. The correct spelling is [I]Hygrophila difformis[/I]. More information can be found on this page: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/170-Water_Wisteria_Hygrophila_difformis.html

mr2
Planted Member

Your Avatar
Isn't this water wysteria? It does not list its common name. Fast growing plant that likes to overgrow its neighbors. I have noticed that the leaves will spread more during the light cycle and close up for the night.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Not too fast growing. It's not slow either. Oddly I get better growth from this plant in a low light tank. There it gets dark keeps its lower leaves and has a majestic look. Under high light, the shoots I started with have been climbing and dropping their lower branches. Fortunately there are new stems growing from the root. Under high light, this plant would work well in a cluster of other plants, but I think it needs other plants in front of it.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I have grown this planted in the substrate but currently have the crown wedged behind some hardware with roots exposed. The roots rapidly formed a gentle curtain of nutrient absorbing rootlets and as the leaves spread out, new roots drop down and give a nice unique effect, completely obscuring the hardware. The mass can get large and you will need to whack away large amounts at times.