Broad leaves hygrophyla (Hygrophyla corymbosa "stricta")
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1260

Broad leaves hygrophyla (Hygrophyla corymbosa "stricta")

Information

Common Name: Broad leaves hygrophyla
Proper Name: Hygrophyla corymbosa "stricta"
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 20 - 28 C
PH: 5.5-8
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: South East Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The original Hygrophila corymbosa. An undemanding plant for large aquariums, which thrives in almost any conditions. If it is not pruned it easily grows above the water surface, where it forms dark-green leaves and beautiful blue flowers. This makes it particularly suitable for open aquariums. It is most beautiful in groups, but the shoots must not be planted too close, because this will prevent light reaching the lower leaves. [TROPICA]

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
i am not sure why this plant is labeled as having a hight light requirement. Mine grows very well under W on a 20 gallon no C02 and no fertz. I can t grow duckweed but this plant is doing fine with great roots and lime coloured leaves.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The leaves of this plant can take on a variety of shades. Mine range from the green pictured to orangey-pink to dark purple on the lower leaves. Easy to grow, too.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Very easy plant to grow. I have this growing in a low tech tank with no C02. The more you trim this plant the more leaves it will grow and the bushier it will look.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have some of this, the leaves are large and an orangey/brown at the surface. However the leaves are spreading across the surface and i want to trim it, how do i do this? Where should i cut, can i cut the main straight stem? I just want to be careful as it is growing well and has very thick stems compared to hygro. polysperma or elodea.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
This is an awesome plant my otos love it. It is so easy to grow and propagate. You can get a new plants just by putting a leaf in the ground. Or cut the top of your already growing plant. I take off a few of the bottom leaves in the steam and stick the stem in the grown it will take root in no time. To get it bushing cut your already growing plant it will divide at the top and branch off. This plant is so easy and grows so well in low tech tanks it will make you look like a plant growing pro. I love that color it is a bright beautiful green. A little bit of this plant goes a long way quickly. Fish love this plant it makes for great shelter. I can't say enought about this plant it is great.

Images