Sword (Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 588
Total Comments: 1239

Sword (Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius )

Information

Common Name: Sword
Proper Name: Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius
Category: Echinodorus
Temperature: 20 - 28 C
PH: 5.5-8
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: South america
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
In my tank this plant has grown about 21 inches and then 12 inches out of the water apparently if you trim the aquatic leaves just below the surface the plant will stay smaller and aquatic. Aquatic leaves are slender and pointed whereas emerged leaves are more round.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have this in a 55 growing out the top like in the picture. Mine has sent multiple shoots up and out of the water that flower. Once the flowers die a little plantlet starts to emerge from where the flower was. Once the plantlet started growing a few little roots I cut it from the main plant and replanted it.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I believe this is the same plant being sold at Petco as "Echinodorus peruvianus" or "Peruvian Sword", which from what I can tell, "Echinodorus peruvianus" doesn't even exist. I picked up a couple of these not knowing what they were until I came home and started reading. The ones I bought were sold in the plastic tube. I think that because they were growing without water in the tube, they were growing all their leaves like those in the picture. I'm waiting to see if mine develop the longer, submerged leaves.