Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 588
Total Comments: 1239

Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)

Information

Common Name: Java Moss
Proper Name: Taxiphyllum barbieri
Category: Ferns and Mosses
Temperature: 18 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: Very Low
Growth Rate: Very Slow
Difficulty: Very Easy
Origin: Asia
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Wonderful plant for a breeder tank. Baby's can get lost in this plant. Also a great nutritional source for fry. It will collect debris from other plants and waste matter, and can get a bit dirty at times. It is a slow grower, but well worth it. Under the right light, it is a briliant green. carry Great Color. Does very well on wood or rock. Mine seems to grow very quickly. Careful it deosn't plug filter intake. Still not sure how to keep mine controlled. Dean Java moss is tough as an old boot, even in brackish water. I have noticed that if I let it get too dense fish can get tangled in it. Generally I just remove handfulls every third month or so to keep its density down. Sometimes hair algae or other algaes get intermingled with this plant, and can be hard to clean out of it. Algaefix works really well to clean it up and doesn't hurt the java moss at all. (I have no commercial interest in Algaefix.) Chris Oinonen Ehren A tough little plant thats hard to kill. Looks splendid on a driftwood tie-on. Slow growing and hardy. Tim Tie it thinly in single layer to a desired surface for better start-off. Generally moss do well in cooler temperature, and some variety cannot stand higher temp at all. Trim once too thick to keep the lower parts growing well, healthy and bushy while the cuttings can be used to start another clump of moss. medicineman My favorite method of attaching this moss to rocks is simple. Get a black hairnet and add a single layer of moss over the rock. Basically sew that hairnet on the rock (stiching on the bottom of the rock) and the hairnet won't float up. I've used this with all my moss and it does extremely well. Even under 1.5wpg in my 10g tank this grew decent. Burks

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is one of the fastest growing plants I've ever kept next to hornwort and anacharis. If you stick in the gravel with your fingers it'll grow into wild crazy shapes, but if you spread it over bogwood or rocks and cover it with nylon mesh for at least a month, it looks great. It grows in all light and water conditions, and grows at higher temperatures than other mosses. I find this to be the best plant for breeder tanks, and I great plant for bettas.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I bought some of this stuff but it died. The temperature was okay. I dont get why. I had to put my aqaurium out of service for half a year. Now it's back in business, and I want to give the moss another try and let it grow on my bogwood.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'm starting a nano (3gal) tank for my halocaridina rubra (Hawaiian opae'ula shrimps) and would like some plants. The water will be weakly brackish - specific gravity of 1.008 to 1.012 - because the shrimps require a little salt. Looking at java moss and christmas moss, as well as java fern. What do you suggest for that low salinity? Thanks!

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
where do you get these plants for a decent price?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Java moss are by far my favorite aquarium plant. It's very easy to keep, and I love watching it spread everywhere. You can cut off 1" pieces and stick them in the substrate and it'll grow.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A beautiful moss, and very tough. It seems to grow well --- but not too fast -- in my low-tech, low-light tank. Easy to maintain -- I wash it off now and then.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I had Java Moss for my first Betta. It is very hardy and I loved it. For awhile I had to keep my fish in a Mason jar because I broke his bowl, the moss helped to keep the water at a perfect pH and nitrate level for a week between each water change.

Abs

Your Avatar
i have bought thiese plant and tie them on rocks and bog wood. it does well on my nano and my cherry red shrimp likes it. excellent source of food for them

Abs

Your Avatar
plant good for low lighting conditions with regular trimming or else it will grow so fast and cause to swamp on other plants

Abs

Your Avatar
plant good for low lighting conditions with regular trimming or else it will grow so fast and cause to swamp on other plants

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very easy plant, and it grows like wildfire. Mine started as a bunch bound to a piece of driftwood. Strands will break off and float around until they rest on wood or any other surface conducive to growth and start a new colony of moss. My one bunch has become at least three bunches now, all of considerable size. It gets very messy with debris

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I got some of this so I could grow a moss wall. In my 10 gallon low light, low tech tank, it grows steadily but not quickly. This is an incredibly tough plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Grows really slow but looks great and is really hardy. The only issue is that it traps a LOT of debris and is a magnet for algae. I have to clean mine frequently.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
This is a Great overall plant/moss to have. Sadly when i had it in a 5 gallon i just had it as a giant ugly floating ball but I'm gonna quickly add this to my soon-to-be 29gal planted and try creating a "carpet" out of it. overall, impossible to kill, low care plant and looks cool.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I use mine as a foreground plant. Tying them on a flat piece of rock. Looks great with crystalwort. :D To clean, simply grab the driftwood they are attached to and shake them gently in a pail of lukewarm water.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
This plant goes well fixed on a root or rock. If directly on the substrate, it will grow too but will get dirty easily and will not be pretty. I had in a 20 gallons with Aquaclear 50 filter, and it was dirty. I had to siphon dirt regularly. Since it is in a 65 gallons with a better filter, Eheim 2217, it stays clean. Regular trimming maybe needed to control it's growth and to make sure it stays clean and beautiful.

Your Avatar
what is minimum color temp (k) for this plant

Your Avatar
I had some of this on rocks that I decided to remove from my tank and just left them in a box dry in my garage for three months. Put the rocks in a new tank with the dried java moss on it and in about four days it was green again. You can't kill this plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
will this go grow nuts if i inject co2?

Your Avatar
Lovely! Can take any shape u can draw up in ur head

Your Avatar
Cost is real cheap (I think it was $1.49) everywhere since it grows like a weed. Seems to like medium light, too little and it goes brown, too much and it goes yellow. In any case when I moved it from the 76F tank to the 74F it grew like a weed. Same tank as Java Ferns with LED lighting. Anacharis is illegal here so we have to used Elodea which is trickier since there is Elodea Canadensis which loves cold water (like in a pond) and Elodea Densa which like to be a room temperature and if the idiot at the LFS sell you Elodea Canadensis it is going to die fairly quickly in your tank if it has ANY heating.

Images