Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana gigantea)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1260

Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana gigantea)

Information

Common Name: Jungle Val
Proper Name: Vallisneria americana gigantea
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 15 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: Low
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Very Easy
Origin: Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
One of many vallisneria variety. A common problem when planting vallisneria sp is the leaves initially tend to break off. This is normal as the plant is acclimating from the great stress of being transported and re-planted. Watch out for K and Ca deficiency as the leaves are prone to develop holes and tears when lacking of minerals. Once it settles in, the gigantea variety grow very tall. Pruning is by cutting the excess top part. Propagate from runners. Do not severe from the motherplant until it reached usable size. Medicineman

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Contrary to popular belief, Jungle Val will not melt with regular excel dosing. It will however melt if you suddenly start using excel, and do not keep up with regular daily dosing. It's vulnerable to spikes, but flourishes with regular use.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Jungle Val is a lovely and extremely large plant. The leaves exceed 5 feet long. It spreads quickly and easily. It is relatively herbivore safe, tinfoil barbs don't eat it. On it's own it spreads in straight lines (until an obstacle is met)

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
This is probably one of the best beginner plants. It grows extremely quickly, and can get extremely tall. I have an entire forest of Vals in my 46 gallon tank, and many of them have their leaves bending at the surface of the water. This huge forest came from only a few small plants a few months ago. A nice thing about Vals is that in moderate or high light, some of their leaves turn a lovely shade of orange or red.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I ahve a very basic 55 planted tank, and my jungle val has got to be cnstantly trimmed or it swamps the tank. The leaves will cover the entire top. Beautiful.

Your Avatar
A wonderful beginner plant; it looks very exotic. I may be misidentifying, but I've found plants that look identical to Jungle Val growing in the NH lake where I swim, and I've kept some in my lily pond. Very easy plant for covering filter intakes, etc., but leaves will grow to the water surface and bend over covering the whole tank unless you give it frequent haircuts. Edit: I am quite certain the plant from my local lake is Vallisneria Americana. Don't know about the "gigantea" part, but it grows just as big for me. I won't be paying for this plant in the future! It's widely distributed over North America -- so much for the "Jungle" mystique. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VAAM3

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is my favorite plant. It spreads quickly and grows tall with no ferts, inert gravel, and 1.2 wpg of T8 light on my 55 gallon. Plus it's big enough that the goldfish don't eat it!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Grow, grow, grow! It never stops yo! Seriously, these leave never stop growing, but rough handling does end in them being broken. Clean cut the tops of these leaves with scissors to avoid rotting and likewise plant so that the root are just showing out of the substrate. This will allow new leaves and clones to grow from the base unobstructed by substrate. Nobody like ingrown hairs, let alone ingrown vals.

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
A good choice for a low tech tank. A nutrient rich substrate is more important than high lighting at least in my experience because this plant has an extensive root system. Relatively fast growing in the right conditions. Sooner or later, you will find yourself with more than enough of these plants. It can also easily grow tall, so make sure it does not shade your other plants.

Your Avatar
Has anyone ever had an issue with this plant dying if in too warm of water. I recently had to treat my tank with Metro and I raised the temp to 88 degrees. Now my Val have all withered up, the green is gone, and they are breaking off.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I ordered dwarf sag from one of the large online plant stores. Planted it in my 29 gallon (medium lighting, co2, ei dosing) and quickly found out that they had sent me jungle val instead. This stuff grows like a weed in my tank. We're talking nearly a foot a week. It also just sent out flowers. I'm thinking about getting rid of it because it's really just too big and fast growing for this tank. It will block out the lights for my other plants if I go a week without trimming.

Images