Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1255

Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)

Information

Common Name: Dwarf Sagittaria
Proper Name: Sagittaria subulata
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
PH: 5.0 - 7.5
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: America
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
An easy, undemanding plant to grow in my high light, high tech tank. However "dwarf" is relative. After a couple of months many of the plants were easily over a foot tall. RoseHawke Some hobbyists consider this plant to be invasive. I love watching the runners grow and spread! It may leave the top half of the tank for the fish to swim. This is a great way for beginner's to build some confidence in the hobby and start off. Make sure your substrate granules are small enough so when you 'thin out' your Dwarf Sagittaria, the roots come out clean and intact to give away to your fellow hobbyists or local fish store. Jimbo205

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have found that dwarf sag is easy to grow...but it grows taller in low light areas...but in the areas where the light is strong it stays under two inches...Looks great.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have a 10 gallon tank with a gravel substrate. The dwarf sag was slowly melting away over the first six months I'd had it. Then, someone told me that I should try a different substrate OR root tabs. So, I added a couple root tabs. In a week's time, I had new plants growing. All of mine have stayed under 3 inches tall. I have two 10W "mini" flourescent bulbs.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Dwarf saggitaria is out of the limelight because of Glosso, Hairgrass and HC but it is a splendid foreground plant, easy for the beginner and makes a better carpet than the photos imply. It spreads quickly and is very undemanding. You do have to pull out the tallest leaves for foreground planting, so it is best in medium to large sized tanks.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I love my Dwarf Sag. I started with 7 plants about 3 weeks ago and now I have 9. I can't wait to see how it responds with more light, better substrate(Eco Complete vs plain ole gravel), CO2 and ferts. Well, I learned that this stuff hates to be moved. It shed quite a few leaves but now after about 2 weeks, it's bouncing back nicely. It's now rooted in soil.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Mine seems to have slower growth than others report and has not spread out any new shoots ins some 3 months time.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love this plant. I started with 7 dwarf sags last February and after a month, it multiplied 10x! I was amazed how this plant propagate. Now, I can say that my tank has a nice carpet of dwarf sagittaria... :) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This plant is like the yellow canary of aquariums. If it turns yellow, it's an early idicator of low iron.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had this stuff now for about two or three months. It's been really slow for me. I have it in a 75 gallon with med light and no C02. The substrate is dirt capped with small grained gravel. I think my problem is that I have a thick cap of about an inch and a half to two inches of gravel. I think eventually it will take off but its been slow so far.

uMc
Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant will grow like crazy if you have enough light for it, but it doesn't require a lot of light. I have only one plant and few weeks later i have more than 10. I use the aqua soil without ferts. If you don't have enough light it will not die but it won't grow up and won't spread more plants. I think it loves aqua soil

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I'm sure this is what I got with my shrimp along with some type of moss for transport. I have stuck of few of them into the gravel and one has already grown 1". The corys have dug the others up so i have to replant them.

Images