Giant Red Rotala (Rotala macrandra)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1286

Giant Red Rotala (Rotala macrandra)

Information

Common Name: Giant Red Rotala
Proper Name: Rotala macrandra
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
PH: 5.0 - 6.5
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Hard
Origin: Asia
Position in Aquascape: Background,Mid-Ground

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A really beautiful plant,dont try it unless you have really bright lighting. Leaves are very delicate,nitrates have to be at zero or very close in order to get a real red coloring.

Abs

Your Avatar
hi i have three stems of that and its leaves are so delicate that intense lighting is needed to achieve the red color. it makes a good contrast to other plants. this plants are really hard and needs extra care

Abs

Your Avatar
gets compact leaves when i use metal hallide bulbs.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I started with these in my high light 20g tall. Now the trimmings have lined the back of a 10g. My CDP's just love it. Very easy to root.

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Make sure you have adequate lighting, co2, and fertilizers otherwise you will not stand a chance. Might take some time to adapt to new tank parameters. A nutrient rich substrate is absolutely essential because the stems will rot away quickly if not properly maintained. I am still trying to get the desired shades of red out, mine are a more red orange to pink color. If you are able to maintain it, you will be rewarded with one of the most stunningly beautiful aquarium plants of all time.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have recently gotten into the hobby and i came across these beauties for a very nice price. I am not having ANY good results with them though. All my other plants are thriving very nicely except this macranda, i don't know what to do to make it survive. leaves are turning brown and decaying off. Stems are super fragile and when i try to replant them after clippings the stems usually break die(i'm using aquascaping tweezers too!). Maybe i need more experience with a planted tank before i head into this plant category.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I get a nice orange/pink/red coloring out of mine using 2 65w 6500k CFLs, diy co2, this plant will start to turn green on me if I don't dose kno3. Once the plant is happy, it will grow like crazy. Lots of off shoots that can be replanted. I started with 1 stem and now have 7-8. Lovely plant and a nice way to add a splash of color to your tank.

Images