Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1255

Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)

Information

Common Name: Crystalwort
Proper Name: Riccia fluitans
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 10 - 28 C
PH: 5.0 - 7.5
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Very Fast
Difficulty: Easy
Origin: Africa, Asia and in the Americas.
Position in Aquascape: Floating,Foreground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
With the addition of High light, C02 and nutrient this plant will produce a myriad of bubbles.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Be careful what you throw away in your tank that is floating at its surface. This stuff is often discovered as a stole away floating in your tank. I almost threw away mine because I thought it was the beginnings of duckweed. The difference in color you see to the right is the difference of bulbs being used the yellowish color is produced by 6500-6700 bulbs.

Planted Tank VIP

Your Avatar
this plant is a natural floater and comes 3x the size naturally than it does for aquarium use. Its also easily established in waterways so be careful to put your waste in the trash and not down the toilet/drain.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
stay away from this plant, once you have it its hard to get rid of it. grows like a weed, waste of nutrients and co2 on this plant, because when your other plants could be benefited from the co2 and nutrients.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
yep these plant grow like wildfire for me. I tie it down it floats back up in a few week so tiresome.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I LOVE my riccia, grows like crazy and makes a beautiful carpet. Except it only grows vertically so if you want any horizontal growth you have to secure it. But great plant.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
It seems some people don't like this plant and claim it's hard to get rid of once you have it, I haven't tried to get rid of it yet. My shrimp love it floating and spend most of their time under the twirling mass of Riccia and what I have attached to a rock is so bright green it's hard to get a photo between the color and the bubbles reflecting light. I love it's strange structute and the leaves are called antlers, I find it easy to trim and the cuttings just float to the surface and start a new pod for shrimp to play in or it can be removed with a breeders net. It is a very easy plant to grow and a very hard plant to kill, I haven't done any test on how long it can survive out of water but I have tossed it in the trash and it's fine after a several days and could be put back in the tank so be careful in disposing of this plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is one of my favourite plants... I tie it to upturned seashells and it grows upwards in little bright-green clouds. The colour is amazing. My shrimp like it alot and it makes great cover for fry, if you leave it floating. I've got it in two tanks--one with lots of light (the shrimp tank) and a low-light tank where I let it float. Both do really well.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant is great. Hardy, bright green and fast growing. It doesn't root so expect to spend a lot of time maintaining it.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I believe this plant requires a lot of light. In my tank it grows but does not thrive, and I assume I have low light. At the bottom of my tank the riccia melted away, but grows at the surface or on a root which is quite high.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Love this plant. Tie it to a round rock to make a nice bush. Take out the rock to trim, very easy, no mess left in tank. Grows twice as fast floating. Always the first plant to get comments.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I've never had much luck with this plant. It doesnt like my flow, and it gets VERY messy at times. I tried growing it in high tech, it died after a month. Pieces flying everywhere. This stuff is herbivore heaven btw.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
One day I found a small strand of this on a plant I got from someone. In no time I had a small golfball size, then a larger rug, etc. Oxygenates like crazy

Planted Member

Your Avatar
It does surprisingly well in brackish water at 1.005 specific gravity. Mine are low-light tanks so it does not grow out of control. They are also tied down, so can just pick it up to trim it if desired. Shrimp love to climb all over it and it is one of very few plants my red claw crab does not eat. Beautiful green color.

Images