Downoi (Pogostemon helferi)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 584
Total Comments: 1198

Downoi (Pogostemon helferi)

Information

Common Name: Downoi
Proper Name: Pogostemon helferi
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 20 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 7.0
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: Thailand
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
A fairly easy and beautiful plant that will grow in a large cluster, the addition of C02 and nutrients will improve its overall health and looks, but can be grown in a low light setup. Downoi is not always an easy plant for the beginner. Downoi means little star in Thai.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Take precaution when selecting fishes to go with this plant as some species of fish like the rummy nose have been known to make a quick meal out of it.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
my rainbow fish will eat the ends of the leaves of this plant

Anti iwagumi

Your Avatar
Does not respond well to bleach dips, turns to a green mush. manually remove all algae instead of dipping.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
indyglyder is right. My bosemani rainbows couldn't help but snack on the downois until they uproot. Perhaps the rainbows need some veggie in their diet?

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Light affects size of this plant. In high light co2 enriched conditions it tends to stay small and compact as in the low light no co2 enviroment it grows larger and the leaves grow further apart from each other.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Off subject a bit but does anyone know what type of fish (yellow one) that is in the photo?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The yellow fish is Labidochromis caeruleus

"Tird~about to Retir "

Your Avatar
Grows Bushy and compact in high light tank and does ok in Med-low light. Iron hungry plant I have ever seen...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
rummy nose tetras ate all of my pogostemon helferi haha. but I love the look of it. probably going to get more soon

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I hate to interject. But how come none of these plant profiles have an approximate size of the plant. I'm new to this whole hobby and knowing how big they get would be really helpful.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have 14 Rummynose in with my Downoi and they have never touched it or any other plant in the tank. I guess they prefer fish food over plant.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Plus one to adding plant sizes to their profiles!

Your Avatar
where can i some of these plants in the U.S.?

Your Avatar
I am a newbie and would like to make a planted tank. This plant looks very nice, would like to have this plant for my collection. Does anyone know where I can buy this plant in the USA?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I saw a post on another forum that sells these. $5 each

Your Avatar
Awesome looking plant. Unfortunately it didn't last a day in my tank. My german blue ram devoured it down to the roots. The only other plant I have that he's attracted to is Lindernia Rotundifolia Variegated. If you have fish that occasionally pick at plants, you may want to skip this one.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Tried in a low tech setup and it just all melted or just came up. Tried again in a system with pressurized co2 and it took off. Within about a week or two I noticed big start leaves coming out and small leaves popping out around the main plant in the substrate. So I'd say some Co2 addition is highly recommended. Lighting I'd say low-moderate. Tends to become uprooted very easily in the beginning until it gets a bit of a root system going, so avoid bottom feeders and other fish that might sift through the substrate or bump into it a lot. Really gorgeous looking ground cover plant.

Your Avatar
When you buy this from petsmart you shouldn't trim off the crowns and plant them individually. The transition phase will tear up most of it. I learned this from experimenting with 20% of success rate to 95% or above. You should plant the whole stem into your substrate and you can also let it float a day or two prior to planting. Don't be afraid of the buried stems dying as it will sprout out of the ground. Let the melt fade off and when most of the leaves stay green you can then trim and replant. TIP: From my personal experience, this plant took about 4-6 weeks of melting before it was able to adapt. The longest time that I've ever waited on a transition phase to peak and the wait was very annoying.