Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1260

Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)

Information

Common Name: Water Lettuce
Proper Name: Pistia stratiotes
Category: Floating Plants
Temperature: 15 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Fast
Difficulty: Medium
Origin: America
Position in Aquascape: Floating
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
This plant grows so ferociously in my garden ponds that I frequently have to thin it out before it completely covers the whole surface. At first I loved the shape of the leaves but now am beginning to really get tired of it. mick

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
high light makes this stuff multiply almost violently. i throw away a pound of this every 2 weeks.

Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
This plant is a really incredible spreader. New plants are formed in hours, it seems, and grow rapidly. A small amount...a handful...and it covered my 58-gallon tank completely in about a week's time. It should be noted that this plant can come in very handy in fighting an algae outbreak. Not only does it rapidly shade that whole tank or any amount that is preferred, but it sucks up nutrients with its rapid growth.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i have this plant under 4 wpg and it doubles its numbers about every 4 days. if anyone wants some i could sent it too you

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I bought 5 small water lettuces for my high light aquarium. One month later, I returned 150 to the LFS I bought it from because it was taking over.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
A beautiful plant, with a beautiful root structure. The dwarf variety, while not as stunning is very beautiful as well. As stated though it does grow very very quickly. I do not find it as noxious of a weed as others seem to. I think this plant is a perfect addition to ponds and container gardens. Goldfish and koi will happily eat the roots of this plant which keeps it in check for the most part. My goldfish eat it at the same rate it grows. I also think that the dwarf variety is perfect for bowls and larger aquariums. It does need some work to keep it in control but I find a quick scoop during water changes is enough to keep it in check. It helps that these things are nutrient sponges. They keep algae in check and levels down. Overall a lovely plant that can make any tank or pond beautiful.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A very undemanding and useful plant. In prime conditions it multiplies like crazy. I've found its very useful in shallow fry tanks for creating cover, I was told the roots are shed but that was not my experience. I found my cichlids liked nibling on it but ultimately couldn't keep up with the growth. Not desirable for most of the typical planted applications but unlike duck weed this is much easier to control and less messy. I highly recommend trying this plant if you are considering floating plants for the aquarium as the root system is appealing vs the bland appearance of the duck weed.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
This stuff is nice, but I prefer frogbit personally for it's color, this also has a slower growth rate than frogbit, at least in my tanks.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I just got some for my cichlid tank, they kept eating all the duckweed... Put some in with some sand toad tadpoles too, looks awesome covered in baby frog.