Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonica)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 591
Total Comments: 1286

Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonica)

Information

Common Name: Mondo Grass
Proper Name: Ophiopogon japonica
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 15 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Very Slow
Difficulty: Medium
Origin:
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground
Description  
Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Mondo Grass is not a true aquatic plant. It will survive for awhile underwater but will not prosper. Best if taken out after a couple of months. Kyle

local fisherman

Your Avatar
Don't buy it for growing submersed. A lot of chain pet stores sell it as "truly aquatic", but it is not. It will maybe grow a little bit submersed, but then it will rot quickly.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Not a true aquatic plant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant profile should be removed, or the details in the info section should all be changed to "N/A" and the position should read "non-aquatic plant". It's not only chain stores that dupe customers into buying this blight on the hobby (and numerous other non or semi-aquatic plants). My nearest LFS owner tried to tell me it was fully aquatic and when I flatly stated that it's not he tried to say it's semi-aquatic and just needs removed from the tank periodically. Don't buy this plant!!

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I worked for a petstore and so I saw a LOT of this come in and die within a week from rot. Avoid at ALL costs, not an aquatic.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I bought this plant knowing it wasn't aquatic. But to fill the space till I found something else I wanted to put there. After time I eventually found nothing and just left it. Hoping that it would rot away and force me to make a decision on what to replace it with. Its been in that tanks for 3 years now. It hasn't gotten much bigger. Maybe another 3 inches. But it is doing really well. Plus my cories like sitting on it. I found out that my mother had been buying and replacing it when it started to go. So.. ya..

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is not an aquatic plant.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
This photo is not even mondo grass. Looks more like Pygmy Chain Sword or Crypt Parva.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I agree with CatSoup. The image is not Mondo Grass.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This plant will do in someone who doesnt have time to look after it or any plants really at all and will do good in very low conditions as well, this plant doesnt need nutrients or co2

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This picture is of Ophiopogon japonica but it is the dwarf form Compactus/Kyoto Dwarf and those were definitely not grown in the water as it is not even a wetland plant. Looks great in the garden though and in bonsai. I love mine and also love Ophiopogon Nigrescens but not in a pond or in an aquarium unless you only want a temporary living vase arrangement it does work well for that "so there is that".

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Chiming in 1 Don't Buy I did buy this in a Petco because I liked the way it looked. When I Googled this to find out how to properly care, I was shocked that anybody would SELL this as even a SEMI-aquatic plant. It is used in clumps as garden groundcover, not even a marsh plant! After I Googled it, it certainly looked familiar. Made me feel $9 stupider!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
On the bright side, while not a true aquatic, it did great on the land portion of a paludarium set-up for years, eventually sending out some runners for me.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I got some of this from Petsmart because I believed it would look awesome in my new tank at the time. Really wish I had read up on it first! It was a slow death for this one, and I just could not understand why it was melting away.... until now.