Nesaea red (Nesaea sp.)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Plant Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 204
Total Images: 590
Total Comments: 1267

Nesaea red (Nesaea sp.)

Information

Common Name: Nesaea red
Proper Name: Nesaea sp.
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
PH: 5.0 - 6.5
Lighting: High
Growth Rate: Medium
Difficulty: Hard
Origin: Africa
Position in Aquascape: Background,Mid-Ground

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Cuttings tend to put out roots within a week, but for the life of me i can't get it to stay red, it also grows quite quickly for me. One of my favorites.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
It is doing the growing in 7.6 ph and temp of 79f. Also my goldfish leave it alone.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Other websites say that this is a difficult plant. I have a few stems of it in my 46 gallon tank with 2 39 watt T5HO bulbs. For the past few months, life has gotten into the way and the tank was rather neglected, with no ferts at all. This plant still grew, albeit a bit slower. It stayed red, but the leaves became narrower. Usually the sides of the stems have a lot of sideshoots.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I just got this plant a couple of days ago and it seems to be doing fine in my tank, PH a little above 7, 2x54 watt T5's, 55 gallon tank with homemade co2 and excel, I've had it about 5 days and it already is showing lots of new growth, I'll write an update in a couple of months.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Had some of this, very surprised at how poorly it did. It ended up turning black in a couple areas so I just took it out, and that is after I added pressurized co2, very difficult plant

Planted Member

Your Avatar
For me this plant along with "Ammania" are harder to grow than pogostemon stellatus. I have 3WPG, 30ppm Co2, 1.4DKH 6.6pH 2.8GH eco-complete and AquaVitro liquid ferts and it is growing, but very slowly, I believe you need to have very acidic soil and soft acidic water-which I have, but my substrate may need to be more acidic and possibly shoot for 3.5-4.0WPG T5HO. My tank is a standard US 55 Gallon Long. I hope it keeps growing. Try aquasoil or adding peat to help the substrate become acidic.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Love this plant a lot very versatile in colors. I saved it from a Petco. If you dose co2 with extremely bright light it will do fine. I stopped putting iron in my tank and it turned yellow, not bad yellow, a good yellow like its cousin plant golden nesaea (part of me thinks they are the same plant), after that it turned a leafy green with a deep red stem the newer leaves were crumpling up so I started dosing iron every day and its turning red after about 2 weeks now. You can have it pinkish color if you regulate the amount of iron you dose. a rosy pink. Very beautiful plant!