Jack Dempsey (Archocentrus octofasciatum)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1740

Jack Dempsey (Archocentrus octofasciatum)

Information

Common Name: Jack Dempsey
Proper Name: Archocentrus octofasciatum
Category: Cichlids
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
Temperament Aggresive
Maximum Size: 25 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I've had one of these before. They're awesome fish to have and watch, but they're mean as all get out. Definitely not a community fish or suited for planted tanks from my experience.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
My parents had a male back in the 80's, and I've had an affinity for them ever since. He would quickly kill anything we put in the tank. He had a hollow log that he claimed, and anything that came near the entrance was aggressively punished. He ended up as the tank's only denizen other than a 12" pleco and some snails. When he was younger we also had a female, which we unfortunately lost. Any attempts at introducing a new female ended poorly. The maximum size listed here of 25cm (9.8") may be normal, but when ours finally died (supposedly at 14 years old) he was almost 13 inches. We kept him in a 90 gallon tank with sandy bottom. It was sparsely planted initially, but he quickly demolished the plants. Stem plants along the back glass seemed to be left alone. Diet was flakes, bloodworms, and live minnows. A school of 50 minnows would typically last a month or two.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Absolutely love this fish....yes very territorial and defensive of their fry....but truly beautiful. Easy to spawn (mine just did and barley two inches in length)... While I prefer the normal jacks - the electric blues are extremely colorful and far less aggressive - can be keep with other fish and/or eb jacks as well....

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Easily one of the worst fish for a planted tank. Aside from aggression, they (like other large cichlids) have a tendency to rearrange the tank to their liking. Keep them in nothing less than a 4' (120cm) long tank.