Red Claw Crab (Perisesarma (Sesarma) bidens)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1748

Red Claw Crab (Perisesarma (Sesarma) bidens)

Information

Common Name: Red Claw Crab
Proper Name: Perisesarma (Sesarma) bidens
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 72 - 82 C
Temperament Territorial
Maximum Size: 8 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
READ BEFORE YOU BUY Dont believe the hype about these guys i have 5 in a 40 litre and they rock the world despite the hype they are vicous predators...THEY ARE NOT they will yes eat a dead fish and May catch a a slow moving guppy but no they wont eat fish so 95% of community fish are ok as long as they dont eat the crabs! Plants yes they do chop them up a bit but a proper diet of cucumber lettuce and proper invert pellets wil deter them but still add tougher plants Do need a land to dry off every now and again mix well with corryies etc... Do not need brakish water as long as you feed them proper invert food that keeps shells hard

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
As a teenager I had one of these in a very overstocked, algae-covered fully freshwater ten gallon community tank with no out of water area. It lived for two years, never leaving the water (although I would find it in my filter sometimes). It just ate whatever the fish dropped and carcasses and only died because it escaped one night and dried up.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
please remember that these crabs are BW crabs, and even though they can live in freshwater, they NEED a source of iodine to regrow their shell. they also do need a land area.