Apple Snail (Pomacea Bridgessii )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1748

Apple Snail (Pomacea Bridgessii )

Information

Common Name: Apple Snail
Proper Name: Pomacea Bridgessii
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 20 - 24 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 5 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Bright fun Easy

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I love Apple Snails. I always keep one in my tank. They do poop a lot so definitely count them towards your bioload but they are very active and always looking for leftovers. My current one is named Lucky. :)

Planted Member

Your Avatar
They eat my HEALTHY wisteria when I don't feed them enough- they will devour algae wafers. Then again, mine are about the size of golfballs or bigger! So, I think they are more of a hassle than I'm willing to deal with when it comes to snails, but guests love them and I do think they are too cool cruising around the tank. They are quite beautiful and funny.

m8e
Planted Member

Your Avatar
Small bioload as long as you don't feed them any extra. I give them some vegetables onces in a while, but most of the time they just eat algae, dead plants, leftover fish food and duckweed etc. Duckweed is really the only live plant they eat unless they are starving. But they do indeed poop a lot. They can adjust their buoyancy by filling their lung with gas, incredible "acrobatic" jumping/gliding between plants. Fun to watch. Can escape if the tank isn't covered. My tanks isn't covered as these escapes happens rarely and most of the time i can just put them back in the tank. I have had one escape/fall related death under the last three years.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had one of these in my 10 gallon. Should have been plenty of food for him in there but he always insisted on nibbling on my Wisteria as well as the Purple Cardinals. He was probably a little too big for the tank though, he grew to over the size of a golf ball before I took him back to my LFS.

Your Avatar
IF you value your aquatic plants, DO NOT buy this snail. mine devoured everything i had even when i fed it algae wafers. It even managed to somehow munch its way through all my floating plants too! they do make great tank mates though and mine was the star of my tank whilst it was there.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The prefer vallisneria over algae and poop tons. They will mow down all your plants if you are not careful. The size maximum size is way off, I have seen wild ones anywhere from 10-15cm (fist sized). Population is very easy to control as eggs are laid outside of water in clutches of (for bridgesii) 200-600 eggs at 2-3.5mm diameter per egg. All Pomacea bridgesii are apple snails, but not all apple snails are P.bridgesii. ;)

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
This is often refered to as the "Mystery Snail". Unlike the apple snail, which is a different species, P. bridgessii does not eat healthy plant material, and works very well in planted tanks to help eat uneaten food and some algae. Just be sure to have enough calcium in the water for their shells.

Geek

Your Avatar
There totally decimated my planted tank!! :( Far too hungry for my liking! They have their own little nano now instead! :)

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Their are also other types of apple snails that can grow the size of a soda can, but I don't know the name.

Your Avatar
There are many species of apple snail, some that grow to be softball sized and some that WILL eat your live plants. Check out applesnail.net for more info. P. bridgessii/diffusa are often called "mystery snails," grow as large as a golfball over their 1-1.5 year lifespan, and will not eat live plants (they prefer softer materials to digest). Really active, fun to watch snails!

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
these are Not the ones available for aquariums. they were thought to be Pomacea Bridgessii , but are actually Pomacea Diffusa which are Mystery Snails.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love these guys. I had one that I kept in a 30g along with a mix of peaceful tropical fish. Yup, they poop a lot but their antics are great. The jokes about snails being slow all go out the window with these guys. My guy managed to get himself caught in the uptake of a HOB filter and, I seriously thought it had killed him. He locked his door down and floated himself around the tank for about month. Someone told me that if you couldn't open their trap door, they were still alive. He didn't stink like dead anything and I couldn't open his door so I let him bob around in the tank. And then lo and behold, he started making appearances again. In all it took him about two months total to get back to normal, but that convinced me these guys are hardy, hardy, hardy. I will have at least one of these guys again. They are fun.

Images

Apple Snail
Apple Snail