Black Kuhli Loach (Pangio oblonga)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1720

Black Kuhli Loach (Pangio oblonga)

Information

Common Name: Black Kuhli Loach
Proper Name: Pangio oblonga
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 78 - 86 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 8 cm

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
These loaches are very similar to the banded Kuhli loach that we all know, with it's color being the only difference. Females tend to be much fatter than males as well as longer, these loaches are great for community tanks and can be seen in the daytime but are most active at night, they are most comfortable in larger numbers and you should keep no less than 5 and if they hide all the time just add a few new members to the family and they'll be active all the time.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These guys love to dig in the substrate so be sure to have something fine for them like sand. They're fun to watch as they sift through and burrowing underneath rocks and driftwood.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Very nice, peaceful fish. They do need bigger schools to be happy. They love to drape themselves over things, will hang on plants like a rope, freak you out the first time you see it as they look dead, but will quickly swim away when disturbed. May not be able to compete with corydora for food, but other wise will get along fine with them and similar sized bottom feeders. Being small they can't be kept with fish big enough to slurp them up like spaghetti. Does enjoy to dig, but if happy they won't spend all day hiding, and make an interesting fish to watch.

Your Avatar
Can they be kept in a planted tank?

Your Avatar
I own 3 Black and 3 banded Kuhlis. The colour difference seems to have no effect on their socialization. If you keep them in groups of six or more and give them plenty of hiding places (such as dense plantation, drift wood and other ornaments) the Kuhlis will feel safer and be more active during the day. You will find them very enjoyable to watch! These fish do just fine in planted tanks. Even though they love burrowing, I've never had problems with them uprooting plants (possibly because of their small size). My Kuhlis rarely dig around the plants but instead enjoy climbing all over the Ambulia! They are perfect for a community tank, and will basically get along with any other community fish! The only thing I would be cautious of is keeping it with other bottom dwellers that may compete with the Kuhlis for food.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have 6 of them in my 55 with a rainbow shark.. My shark doesn't bully them he tried once, when i first got him. and the loach just sat there, now the shark is almost 6 inches and sleeps with them. It's cute watching them.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
That temp range given should be in F, not C.