Emerald Catfish (Brochis Splendens)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 823
Total Comments: 1704

Emerald Catfish (Brochis Splendens)

Information

Common Name: Emerald Catfish
Proper Name: Brochis Splendens
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
Temperament Active,Peaceful,Schooling,Timid
Maximum Size: 10 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Got about 26 of these in a 125 gallon heavily planted tank. They are easily in my top 3 favorite fauna available in the hobby. Its pretty awesome seeing them in a big school during feeding time!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have 2 in my 20 gallon...my favorite fish. They ar 3 years old and named Heckle and Jeckle...lol. They are an awseome fish but do get on the larger side...going to move them to my 55 when it is set up.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have 3 in my 36 gallon they are awesome to watch when they are active!

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
My favorite of the armored catfishes. They get larger than corydoras (3-4") and are thus better suited to larger tanks with more boisterous tank mates. Keep 6 or more together to see them behave naturally. Less than this and they will remain healthy but tend to hide during the day and only come out to feed after lights out. Brochis have longer, swooping dorsal fins with 10 or more rays and almost no gap between the primary and secondary dorsal when compared to corydoras which have an upright dorsal with 5-8 rays and a larger gap between the primary and secondary dorsal. Often incorrectly sold as "Emerald Cory" in the pet trade. The true Emerald Cory is Corydoras aeneus, more commonly (and aptly) called the "Bronze Cory".

Your Avatar
Long lasting, hardy little fish with lots of character. I've had mine for over four years, and they've been laying eggs after water changes. They survived moving three times, and a bout of ich (although, I'm not sure if they're even susceptible to it). They are sensitive to salt.

Images

Emerald Catfish
Emerald Catfish