ramshorn snail (Planorbis rebrum)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1727

ramshorn snail (Planorbis rebrum)

Information

Common Name: ramshorn snail
Proper Name: Planorbis rebrum
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 15 - 25 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 6 cm

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
do these guys eat (destroy) plants?

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
This is the best snail ever. I got them on some plants along with pond snails. Well no more pound snails only rams. These are pretty snails they get to be good size. They don't breed out of control. I have had blues reds brown color shells from different generations of the same few snails. I would like to go selective breeding of these guys. They never hurt my plants or shrimp. They eat algae well but are not crazy about green hair algea. Great shrimp.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Awesome little snails! I've never seen them eat healthy plants, but they will eat decaying/dead/sick leaves, which is fine with me. If I overfeed I see a lot more snails. If I stop overfeeding, they die out. So I don't ever need to control them as they control themselves and help me monitor my feeding habits. I had pink/pearly ones and blue ones. I culled the blue ones because I preferred the pinks in all my tanks. I now have some popping up of the copper color in the picture shown here. They are little gems. I'm not sure how to selectively breed, or if there are "designer" strains, but I'd love to learn more. Culling ones I don't like is easy enough.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
see Planorbis corneus as well

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Some must have hitched a ride on a plant because I have had my tank for 3 months and now I have hundreds of them. The over population is due to overfeeding. I don't mind them and think they are pretty cute

Planted Member

Your Avatar
When I first set up my 30 gallon I had a bunch of snails hitchhike into the tank on the plants I added. I had a bunch of trumpet snails and another mystery snail, but only one of these little guys. I really wish I had more of them so they would breed because I really enjoy watching the little guy cruise around the tank.