Assassin Snail, Killer Snail, Bumble Bee Snail (Anentome Helena)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 823
Total Comments: 1703

Assassin Snail, Killer Snail, Bumble Bee Snail (Anentome Helena)

Information

Common Name: Assassin Snail, Killer Snail, Bumble Bee Snail
Proper Name: Anentome Helena
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 22 - 26 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 2.5 cm

C2C
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
These guys are cool they prefer meater snails like ramshorn and pond snails its so cool watching them sting their prey and them almost climb in the shell to eat them

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
There is debate whether or not assassins will eat dwarf shrimp, with several threads started about it. People have different opinions. Its safe to say if the assasins have a proper source of protien, (bloodworms, pest snails) they should not harm a healthy shrimp.

Nue
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I for the longest time, I agreed that they do Not eat dwarf shrimp. Until recently. I witness an adult assassin snail grab and eat a dwarf blue tiger shrimp. :( So i don't think it happens very often, but it can happen in my experience.

C2C
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
i agree if they are happy with their diet they will not eat shrimp i have them in with baby cherries

ozz

Your Avatar
They are very lazy!! All they do is roam around or burry under sand and sleep. I have 5 of them in a 5 gallon tank... I see no change in the invasion.

Honeycomb Master

Your Avatar
These little guys are are a great way to get rid of pest snails in your aquarium. I added about 40 assassin snails into my 68 gallon, and within a month, there isn't one pond snail to be seen (i had at least 400 pond snails in my tank before). They usually take a few weeks to really pick up the speed in eating other snails. Be careful when putting these snails into an aquarium with larger snails though (nerite, spixi, apple, etc). I noticed that they sometimes group up to take down a large snail, and they've been pretty successful.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Im new with these snails, but so far i really like them. I have a planted tank so pond snails and ramshorn snails are all over the tank. In a week or two they have eaten most of the snails. They are very hard workers.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Awesome snails. Very quick for snails and will for sure kill your pest snail population. Do not keep with smaller nerites, though. I'd recommend not keeping with shrimp if your tank has no pests.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I put 11 of these in a 6 gallon tank that was overrun with pond snails and also had a few trumpet and rams horn snails. It took about 3 weeks before I really noticed a change. They killed the trumpet and larger pond snails first. They killed a really big rams horn but never ate it, so after 3 days I took it out of the tank. They are laying eggs now in the roots of an anubias nana plant and the eggs are in rectangles of gel. All in all I am happy with them. They are keeping the snails in check in this tank.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Where can you get these guys from?

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
for me they do a good job for about a month but then they burrow in the substrate and die.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Mine did not bury themselves and die. I moved them to a 40 gallon tank several months ago and they wiped out hundreds of MTS. They also reproduced quite a lot. I started taking down the 40 gallon tank a couple weeks ago and I have found about 50 assassin snails of all sizes in there.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
these guys play dead dont go scooping them out because they probly are still alive

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
get 3-4 of these and your on your way to end snail problems

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had a two of these in an overrun 2gal nano tank. I can't say that they did too much for the nuisance snail population. I saw one of them literally slide right over some smaller snails on the glass. But, the adult population seems to be at a min, but I've also been removing the larger ones when I see them. It seems like they could care less about the red cherry shrimp and plants they're housed with.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have a 10 gallon with 25 Assassin Snails 1 Amano Shrimp 2 Ghost Shrimp. I put Blood Worms in and watched a Assassin Snail crawl up to a Ghost Shrimp and steal his Blood Worm right from his mouth. They fought over it for awhile then the Assassin Snail won the tug of war. The Ghost Shrimp got angry and stood on top of the snails shell after loll

Your Avatar
I had a 38 gallon with tons of Ramshorn, I added like 6 snails and the population dropped greatly, I love the sight of the dead snails in my tank. Otherwise I don't think getting a ton of them is necessary cause they will actually breed. They'll each lay an egg a week so getting tons just means eventual hidden pollution.

Your Avatar
I bought two of these (must have been a female and a male) and after a few months my snail problem was under control. I've not seen them bother my shrimp nor eat each other now that I have a couple dozen of them. I have heard of feeding them piece of chicken or wafers with protein in it.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
They will eat any food meant for inverts, including algae wafers, if nothing else is available. They do seem to overlook smaller snails, preferring larger snails. We put 1 assassin in our 6G Tall and within a month he cleaned up our pond snail problem... now we have to feed him!

Your Avatar
Will they eat shrimp and nerite snails?? Tks

Images

Assassin Snail, Killer Snail, Bumble Bee Snail