Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1748

Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus)

Information

Common Name: Celestial Pearl Danio
Proper Name: Celestichthys margaritatus
Category: Characins
Temperature: 22 - 24 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 3 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have been tryin to find this fish in Massachusetts with no luck.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've been trying to find them in the South Florida Area, or at least close enough so I don't end up paying more for shipping than for the fish. No luck so far

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I will be honest I'd never heard of this fish until I walked into the store and saw them and had to have all of them. I have a 26 gallon planted tank and they are so much fun to watch and are fantastic. Very easy to care for as they are pretty sturdy just like most Danios. It is well worth the hunt for these guys especially if you can find some that are wild caught and not tank bred. The wild caught breed is much more colorful as their markings deteriorate every generation.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My lfs still sells these little guys as Galaxy Rasboras. If you are having trouble finding them try asking for this name instead. Many people dont know it has changed.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
very flashy fish when happy in its house! mine are not shy but others on the forum have had difference experience. if you keep them in a tank where they have lots of swimming room you will see them more often! easy to breed but hard to get a good amount of babies from

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
these are not characins. they are Danios...more related to Zebras and Rasboras than to Tetras

Abs

Your Avatar
they are jewels for nanos and does well with my green neon shrimp. this species is kinda shy and needs thick vegetation to keep comfortable

Your Avatar
These r endangered right? If their not ,where do you get them

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have had mine since 2009 and they are a hardy fish once they are healthy but I think mine came from wild stock because they were in poor shape when they showed up in the lfs had some fish loss but I would rescue them from the lfs 6 at a time he made me deals for 6 for about 35 bucks they bred I'm my tank mow I have about 30 of them they are a great fish to keep with any shrimp!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have had mine since 2009 and they are a hardy fish once they are healthy but I think mine came from wild stock because they were in poor shape when they showed up in the lfs had some fish loss but I would rescue them from the lfs 6 at a time he made me deals for 6 for about 35 bucks they bred I'm my tank mow I have about 30 of them they are a great fish to keep with any shrimp!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
they need to be in large groups like 12

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Great little gem. Perfect for nano tank due to their small size and amazing colouration. Seem to do well in a range of temps and pH. I would also deem them a very hardy fish. Quarantine first! I've noticed many of these fish are wild caught, and seem to come in with a host if sicknesses and diseases. They are a bit nippy and territorial towards one another, but love each others company. Playful and full of big personality I would recommend them to anyone. They respond well to salt, medicine, dips and baths. Even temperature fluctuations seem to pass unnoticed by these guys.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I'm pretty sure my LFS calls these galaxy rasboras, are they correct in doing that becuase these look EXACTLEy like them

Your Avatar
@bmedeiros678 i have seen them at tropic isle in framingham and uncle neds fish factory in millis

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Not to rub it in or anything but over here in the UK there are load in the local Maidenhead Aquatics stores. I'm getting some for my 4ft tank on the weekend. :)

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
@ADJAquariums Yes Galaxy Rasbora is the same fish it was renamed to Celestial Peral Danio.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Very happy and colorful once settled in. They tend to be very timid unless in a large group so I would recommend at least 10-12 if you want them to be actively out and about (when you are around!). These little guys are one of my favorite nano fish and plan on having 100 in the new tank :)

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Beautiful Little fish. Prefer cooler water temps and slow moving currents. The males have black stripes on their anal fins while the females have a gravid spot. Egg scatterers. Usually spawns in the early morning just before the light come on. Parents will eat the eggs and fry so removing the parents if trying to breed is advised. That being said, they spawn quite easily, even when being fed a straight flake diet. I've kept mine in neutral ph water with a kh 4. Fry can be fed powdered flake food and live microworms. An extremely shy fish that spends most of its time low and hiding in plants, though they do feed fairly agressively.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had 3.... I will never have them again as they tore apart my blue japanese endlers lyretails! They are serious nippers. Have to be kept in a pack of 6 or more.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This fish is the reason I am planning a new planted tank. I am obsessed! Wouldn't mind paying shipping if I cant get them from a LFS.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nice little fish that are gorgeous when happy. Can be kind of nippy, but only between themselves. Mine are very outgoing and zip all over the tank, and seem to prefer tanks that have a lot of action going on, and not quiet, more serene tanks. Many LFS are still calling them "Galaxy Rasboras". If you do get these guys shipped, make sure to get them sent overnight only as they don't seem to handle shipping very well.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
they sell these guys at my lfs and they look like ember tetras.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love that they look like tiny trout, but they were too shy for my taste. There was an (unsubstantiated) rumor that they are endangered, which drove up the price. They are still quite a bit more expensive than most small freshwater aquarium fish, like other danios, but they're not endangered.

Images

Celestial Pearl Danio
Celestial Pearl Danio