Convict Cichlid (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1715

Convict Cichlid (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)

Information

Common Name: Convict Cichlid
Proper Name: Archocentrus nigrofasciatus
Category: Cichlids
Temperature: 20 - 25 C
Temperament Aggresive
Maximum Size: 15 cm

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
These fish are hardy and breed readily in the home aquarium. Convicts will lay their eggs on a hard surface like slate or a up turned plant pot. Unfortunatly they will readily uproot aquarium most plants.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
convict's have a bad rep. for being aggressive, they are in fact not more aggressive than any other similar cichlids and can be very beautiful with very deep blue and black bands and bright red dots in the belly area on mature females (the picture here is a really bad specimen), they are very hardy and breed readily and are excellent parents, people don't think much of them because they are easily available, but i personally think they are every bit as interesting as any other cichlid or fish from a personality perspective and very beautiful if you get a the right specimen (pics here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Amatitlania&species=nigrofasciata++&id=187 are better than the one on here, but i've seen much better looking specimens), there is also a pink/white version of this fish, they don't have any bands, pure white males, females have the typical red specles when mature

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I had these few of these fish for about 3 years in a 55 gallon tank (not planted). These fish have character (like other cichlids) and can be quite stunning. The "alpha" male I had subtle yet breathtaking coloration. They quite peacefull and even a bit skittish until they have fry. Once they have them though, they do become very defensive and will take on anything of any size including your hand. Once they start breeding, they will not stop. So be carefull what you wish for, if you are getting these to see fish babies.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These are very horny fish. I once had a convict cichlid breed with a Jade Eye cichlid.

Your Avatar
I have a pair that constantly build nest and lay eggs, but the eggs never hatch. They're very protective too, they attack my hand when i'm scrubbing algae.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Good parents.Can dig out plants.My pair at first time get 82kids.All goes to dish for skate.Was cutting alive in RigaZoo.

Your Avatar
convicts are very interesting to watch breed. as the eggs start to hatch and become wigglers, the female will transfer the wigglers to a separate area from the original laying spot. sometimes they can be transferred from one side of the tank to the other! the mother does this by picking the little wigglers up with her mouth and it almost looks like she chews them a bit before she spits them out in their new location. I currently have 2 pairs of convict cichlids in separate tanks. the first pair i bought have always been very nice to each other. but the second pair i got,the male is always chasing the female around and nipping her. yet they still lay broods of eggs. so the whole thing about convicts being good parents... is really up to the personality of the fish.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
These were the first cichlids I was able to successfully breed. They are extremely easy to breed and keep, provided that you have enough space and do not house other cichlids that may eat the young. I would put a terra-cotta style planting pot into the tank and without any help from me these fish would multiply. I did have some trouble keeping these fish with community fish, but they are not as aggressive as Oscars and Jack Dempsy cichlids. Sometimes, but not always, when they pair off the male will attack other Convict Cichlids in the same tank. They can be really bad tank renovators, and will dig up plants and knock over rocks, so be sure your tank is well set up for these fish. Also, they tend to be diggers; be sure you have enough substrate in your tank and do not keep these fish in a tank with an undergravel filter as they will expose the plates and render it useless.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Convicts are cool because i catch them all the time when ever i go to the river behind my house but when i kept them in my 20gallon (AKA the monster tank) they would breed like crazy and the messed up part was the babies help keep my channel catfish full lol

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Give them a cave, they go to town. They inbreed more than rednecks do. My male is inbreeding with his 8th gen granddaughter. I've gotten lazy, barely clean their tank, water change maybe once or twice a year (I'm at college so my home is far away). They still live. The parents are only killed off by the father so they are a bit aggressive. They nip at any fish but their own children up to a certain age, then the children are fair game too. The female undergoes a bit of abuse after egg laying. Great fish if you just like watching fish breed.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
convicts are the devil. i started with two and ended up with over a 100 within a few months. they will kill any fish not strong enough to defend itself once they lay babies.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Definitely underrated in their beauty and character. A nice Black Convict cichlid that displays colors vibrantly is one of the most colorful and beautiful, IMO, cichlids out there on the market. Considering the low price and robust hardiness they have, it definitely is a great beginner fish. I currently have this fish in a planted tank with other african cichlids. I run small amounts of CO2 injection into the tank for the live plants and the fish thrives better than any other fish i have in there. There is a video on youtube i have of mine displaying nice colors and your able to see the planted tank at one of the early stages when i first started. - "Cichlids with Live Plants" SnumberF(username) Simply put, i love this fish and i don't understand the bad rep it is getting. Maybe i got lucky with mine but to me, it is a steal out there for how cheap this beautiful fish goes for.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Usually despised by more of the experienced hobbyists, they are hardy and breed faster than one could say "Stop Breeding!!!" They are aggressive towards smaller fish and are scared towards bigger fish ime.

Your Avatar
I have had Pink Convict and regular Cichlids (in my classroom for the multiply handicapped) for many, many years. I had around ten of them in a 125 gallon tank... and they periodically had babies, which I gave away to staff or gave away (without charge) to a local pet store. Keeping them in smaller tanks invites problems, especially involving aggression. Many of the Pink Convicts in our class were quite old (i.e. ten years or more)... they certainly were doing well for many years and were very long lived. Some of the older males had the awesome nuchal humps that many cichlid species get when they become elderly. I am retired now, but still have Convicts in a 125 gallon tank at home. The tank has a lot of nice artificial driftwood style decorations and plastic plants. Now, I keep it as a bare bottom tank. Keeping the tank as a bare bottom keeps mating and breeding to a minimum (which I like, as it curtails aggression)! Bare bottom large tanks make the fish feel like they are in deep water. These type of fish don't breed in deep water; and any young in deep water are (naturally) fair game to be eaten. Gravel in a tank makes it seem (to them) like they are in shallow water suitable for breeding and nesting... and all the aggression ensues! With a bare bottom, you have to have a nice (strong) filter. I use a Fish Mate Bio Pond Filter (along with a couple of box bottom filters). These fish are underrated and are superb, beautiful cichlids. They are merely inexpensive because they are so hardy and easily bred; but that doesn't negate their totally awesome beauty and uniqueness! :)

Images

Convict Cichlid
Convict Cichlid
Convict Cichlid