White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1748

White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)

Information

Common Name: White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Proper Name: Tanichthys albonubes
Category: Cyprinids
Temperature: 18 - 27 C
Temperament Schooling
Maximum Size: 4 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Great hardy fish. These are fish you can cycle tanks with and still want to keep when its done cycling! They may not look like much in the store, but get them into a tank with a few plants and they really shine. They are also very easy to breed, If you want to try breeding egg layers, these are the way to go.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Please google 'fishless cycling' instead.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These are awesome little fish.They are the only fish That I know of that can be with my chinese fire bellied newts

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These are awesome little fish.They are the only fish That I know of that can be with my chinese fire bellied newts

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
extinct in the wild..almost

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
These are great little fish. They're hardy, relatively inexpensive, and pretty. Plus, the adults stay around an inch long, so they're great for small tanks. Highly recommended!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Breeds readily when well fed, mine eat their young. I have to move the fry to the shrimp tank if i want them to survive.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've kept them with goldfish and dojo loaches, they're great in a school of 12 or so.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Terrific little cooler-water fish, these... I've found that, while these guys (and of course, the golden version and the long-finned "meteor minnows") are perfectly happy in the same temperatures and water conditions as goldfish, they may not be the best long-term companions. Larger adult goldfish regard them as tasty snacks if they can catch them! ~Bruce

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love white cloud minnows. They are hardy (but do make sure to start off with healthy stock, once infected with anything they go downhill quickly!), peaceful, active but not nippy and very showy, not to mention cheap - even the fancy gold ones will not set you back more than a couple of dollars. The males will display to one another frequently but rarely do any damage. Males and females are easily differentiated even at young ages - the anal fins of the males are wide and fan shaped at extension whereas the female's are triangular and more wedge-shaped. Mature females are also noticeable fatter and the males more colorful. There are several cultivars of this fish, and in addition to the wild type specimens one can find gold minnows and rosy pink individuals as well, and long-finned forms can be found in any of these colors and are particularly prevalent in the rosy strain. the rosy strain is also unique in which not only the caudal and anal fins are red as in the wild and gold types but rather all of the fins. These fish do best in schools and over 6 is best, but the fish in the school can be of any variety. I have three golds, two regulars, and a long-finned rosy white cloud minnow and all shoal together regardless of type. They do fine in aquariums as small as 5 gallons, which provided they are well planted and filtered adequately easily house the required group of half a dozen of them, but they will of course make use of as much room as you will provide. These fish love a current and the more the better. They do not show their best colors nor live to their full lifespan in temperatures over 75 degrees and ideally should be kept between 60 and 70, meaning tankmates are limited but not nonexistent, mostly to variatus platies, other minnows, danios, peppered cories, shrimp, gold barbs, weather loaches, and smaller goldfish, but this is not a huge problem as these fishes look best in a species aquarium.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I need help! My tank 60 gal planted has been up and running for several months with no problems. To start i had just plants then added 6 white cloud minnows then another 5 after a few more weeks. Quite a while later 5 rummy nose tetras everybody was great for a long time just within the last couple of days the minnows have been diminishing in numbers I'm down to 7 and a couple of them don't look to good. The tank conditions are great all levels are where they belong. The only thing i can say is I have C02 with a controller the PH swings from 6.7 to 7.2.. Help I dont want to lose any more of these guys.. Also the tank temp is 77df but its been there for a few weeks.. and doesnt swing much.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Living in the mountains of the Tahoe basin I chose these guys incase the power goes out. Hoping they wont kick the bucket in the cold. I just have a few things to add after reading the other comments. These guys are highly adaptable. When you get them from the store they are very colorless. They darken up in a couple days in a good tank on good food. They are very active, especially after feeding. They wont school after they are used to their environment and tank mates. But you can make them school. If you seperate the males from females they will school. The best way to induce dfg spawning is seperate males from females. And introduce the largest, best male, to the female tank shortly after lights on in the am. And after feeding. Remove the male after 3-4 hours. Repeat the next morning to ensure success. preferably with a different dominant male. They are very entertaining to watch. males always displaying fins against each other. Dominant females will occasionally chase everyone. Males will claim an area as theirs, but only between other wcmm. They completely ignore snails, adult shrimp, otto cats, algae, and S.A.E's. Ready to spawn females look like their about to explode.