Peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 820
Total Comments: 1694

Peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus)

Information

Common Name: Peppered cory
Proper Name: Corydoras paleatus
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 15 - 26 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 7 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
These are GREAT fish! I have 2 male and 1 female. They spontaneously bred once, but it was before I had any sort of extra tank to rescue the eggs to, unfortunately. :(

Planted Member

Your Avatar
i have a group of 6 (4 males 2 females). they are extremely easy to breed. All that is required is: good water conditions, lots of feeding, and a strong light. It's been 6 months and i now have 80+ babies ranging from 1 to 2 cm

Your Avatar
I have some of these cute critters. I don't know if it is me but I've noticed that my peppered cories' 'spots' r very dark when they r just doing their thing & turned paler like the 1st picture when they're feeding.. duno y...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have about 8-10 of these in my 55g. They are great little fish that go over the bottom of my tank eating all the left over morsels.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Great hardy Catfish. Entertaining to watch them go to work and shovel around for left over food. I currently have 4 (started with 5, one was sick from PetSmart and did not last long). I usually drop an algae tab in the tank after my Fluorescents cycle off and my red LED moon light turns on. They devour it all night. During the day they'll eat any left over food from feeding the other fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Iv got one that tags along with my 7 other corys in my community tank. Like all corys he is very active through out the day all ways on the hunt for food hes about 3inch long.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Significantly hardier than most other cory species (except possibly bronzes). They still need target feeding, however, a mixture of sinking pellets and occasionally some flake or bloodworms sprinkled on the gravel where they feed. Youngsters need constant feeding, while older ones will survive on the smell of an oily rag. They grow slowly but can eventually reach a surprising size. Keep at least six. They will be much more active in a group, on a darker substrate.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
GREAT fish! they are so cool to watch when mine come out!

Your Avatar
I started with 3 of these and 2 died about a month apart (not sure why - they are supposed to be hardy fish!) I got another 3 so now have 4 in total, all looking happy and healthy. Very cute and active fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These are great hardy fish good for any water Ph as well. I have 8.2Ph hard water and I started with 7 of these in a planted tank (with CO2 high light; the whole nine yards) and now I have over 15 less than 2 years later (maybe more. Its hard to count them in a planted tank). They are fun to watch and an incredible cleanup crew.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Awesome fish! Very hardy, active, and attractive. Do a great job keeping my sandy tank spotless.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Tough for corycats! I bought a full grown one and had him in a tank with the 3 African Cichlids I had at the time. It almost seemed that they thought, and he did too, that he was one of them! He followed them around trying to school with them over the smaller cories in the tank. I still have him after re-homing the ACs. He's in a tank with many other kinds of cories now, and doesn't seem to care who he schools with.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very hardy. Easy to breed. Great scavengers. I'd recommend them for any community tank!

Images

Peppered cory
Peppered cory