Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 820
Total Comments: 1694

Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)

Information

Common Name: Scarlet Badis
Proper Name: Dario Dario
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 23 - 26 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 2 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Catfish??

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
It is not a catfish! It's one of two genera in the Family Badidae (along with [I]Badis[/I]), a perch-like fish. They are very interesting little hunters, but are quite finicky - mine will only eat nematodes (microworms, bananaworms, etc) and frozen bloodworms in addition to what ever small critters they find in my tank.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i have 8 of this little cute fishes...the main problem is the don't like processed foods, eat only live foods. otherwise grate addition to any small tank with peaceful tank mates.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Small fish, but big personality! These little guys wave their fins in anticipation of being fed. So interesting to watch, as they know all too well, how to beg for more food. I've always fed mine California Blackworms. Yes unfortunately they don't eat any processed foods. Only frozen or live, so in that regards they require a little more effort to take care of. That and the fact that they probably won't do well in a community tank because they tend to be on the shy side, and won't do well trying to compete against other fish for food. Still one of my all time favorite fish nonetheless.

Your Avatar
where can I get one of these scarlet badis?

Your Avatar
i bought 3 Badis this week from liveaquaria.com

Planted Member

Your Avatar
http://msjinkzd.com/ is an EXCELLENT and rather renowned supplier.

Your Avatar
I have 11 of the Scarlet Badis's.I got them from "Tropic Isle Aquarium" in Mass. They shipped them to me in Florida over night for $79.00 in early summer. They are still in good shape,but I'm having a problem breeding them. They are in a planted tank(20gal/long) good chems.Seven are in there,3 males/4 ladies, others are in a smaller tank(just in case). Can anybody help with info ? Pfguy540

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love these little guys! I haven't had a problem with them not eating, they peck at tiny newly hatched snails, and probably my shrimplets. Since I only have 4 I'm not too concerned with them eating all my shrimplets, and definitely not concerned about them with my shrimp. Some of my shrimp are bigger than they are!

Images

Scarlet Badis
Scarlet Badis
Scarlet Badis
Scarlet Badis
Scarlet Badis
Scarlet Badis