Bow Fin (Amia calva)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1739

Bow Fin (Amia calva)

Information

Common Name: Bow Fin
Proper Name: Amia calva
Category: Others
Temperature: 16 - 20 C
Temperament Aggresive
Maximum Size: 87 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I caught one of these in a lake by my house. It had to be close to 5lbs! It scared me a little. I thought I had a bass, when it got closer to the boat I thought I had a walleye. When I got it in the boat, I was like, what the heck is that thing. I went to Google on my iphone and looked it up. Sure enough it was a Bow fin!

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I caught a Bow Fin on the north east shore of lake Erie, in Port Colbourne, Ontario and man it was big (about 4kg) and it faught hard. I had no idea what it was myself until I spent some time reading up. They also go by the name "Dog Fish" around here and they are a very unique fish; as I understand they are an ancient fish with no relatives - they are one of a kind. When I caught the fish my buddy and I were kind of freaked out at first cause it was so unusual. First impression was that it was some type of eel.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Newplanter - Bowfin have been lving with bass for 1000's of years. They are one of the oldest families of fish and native to North America. They have no effect on bass populations because the bass eat them as much as they eat the bass. I had a 2 pound bowfin in a 110G tank many years ago and it became about as tame as you could expect a fish to be. He would take minnows out of my hand and would even jump to do so. Very cool fish. They are not much good with smaller tankmates as they will eat most of them if they can be swallowed. They don't mess with plants though, in fact they lay eggs on them, so good for a planted tank. Lastly, these guys grow into the 12 pound range quickly so a BIG tank is a must.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
id have to agree with jasonp. Newplanter, you have no idea what you are talking about.. First off Bowfin's mouths are not big enough to go around eating bass. 2nd, they are an oportunistic feeder, meaning they won't chase and try to eat bass. In the midwest they mostly feed on anything from crayfish to small fish like minnows and little bluegill. Obviously if you put a bluegill on a hook they will eat it, but they won't attack a bass over a few inches because they could never swallow it.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
newplanter, your post was neither relevant nor true. I'm sad to hear you do as you say. Its tragic and misinformed.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I catch these in the swamp near my house regularly. I can't imagine people keeping them in an aquarium. I have caught several over 10 lbs. They live out of water for several hours. They eat any and everything that moves. I use live tadpoles and small fish for bait. They are fun to catch because they fight hard , but if you aren't setup for them they will cut your line with their teeth.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A few years back I was fishing with my dad in Minnesota. Something was chasing a school of minnows and causing a bunch of commotion so I tied on a Rapala and casted into it. I was hit hard and after a good fight had reeled in a 27 inch bowfin. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I still remeber the teeth it had! We went to Cabelas that afternoon and I saw one in one of their aquariums. Put some big gashes in my Rapala too! I still think about that crazy fish when i see it in my tackle box lol