Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus Ternetzi)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1709

Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus Ternetzi)

Information

Common Name: Black Skirt Tetra
Proper Name: Gymnocorymbus Ternetzi
Category: Characins
Temperature: 21 - 26 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 7 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i would advise against putting these in any community tank, most aggresive tetra i've ever owned

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Black Skirt Tetras are a great fish for beginers. Make sure you have them in groups or 4 or more. Avoid keeping in an aquarium with fin nippers.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Black Skirt Tetra's make great community fish. I've kept them with a Betta, common Pleco, and Dwarf Gourami's in a tank with bad water parameters due to my lack of knowledge. Well that was 2 years ago and the Black Skirt Tetra's and the pleco are the only one's left from that awful tank. Extremely hardy. They can go at least two weeks without food. An excellent beginner fish. Keep them in groups of 4 . Mine seem to school really tightly in the morning. Especially around/during/after feeding time.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Supper hardy fish. Also quite peacful. Interesting color pattern as well.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My girlfriend has 6 of these bad boys. You can't even walk by the tank without all of them chasing after you.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very lively and fast fish, great fish to cycle a tank with.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I love my black skirt tetras so much, they are sooo hardy and active, they chase each other around and have a huge appetite, they are like piranhas when it comes to eating time, super fun to watch. I have had no trouble with them in my 20 gallon not even when i had to house a male veiltall betta in there for a few days, as i said they love to play around and chase your finger. One thing i am not to happy about with these guys is that if the tank light is to strong there colour fades, like when i had regular incandescent lighting over the tank they were a solid beautiful black and now with my 2.2 WPG T5 lights they have turned mostly silver with black stripes.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Sorry my computer reposted my comment 2 times, and there is no delete option...

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have the long fin variety that I keep as a "background" fish to my pearl gouramis and swordtails. They have these beautiful long flowing skirts that look amazing when "shimmering" in my lunar lights

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
A good fish if you want something to give that silvery flash in your planted aquarium. They are mostly upper water swimmers but will of course occasionally check out what's going on at the bottom. I keep 8 of these which spreads their aggression around and have had no problems with keeping them with 2 bettas (M, F) as well as many neon tetras, corys, cherry barbs and rams. They are especially good for taller tanks as they really do tend to stay up towards the top.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
great little schooling fish had mine for 6 years and gone through the good bad and ugly

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very aggressive from experience. Devoured my Red cherry shrimps and nipped my Betta to death. I don't like!

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Had these in with an angelfish for around a week. Noticed the angels fins disappearing, and saw one of the black skirts nip at him. At the end of the week he was constantly in the corner to keep from being harassed. Very aggressive fish towards other territorial aquaria.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have 10 black skirt. I had to give them their own 20 gallon tank because they would bully and dominate my 30 gallon community tank. They are most definetly fin nippers and do go into a frenzy when feeding. Extremely hardy fish. I would never cycle tank with any fish but if you are old school and backwards these fish might survive. Beautiful fish and very active.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
As a newbie aquarist an employee at petco told me to cycle a new tank with these. I wouldn't dream of doing a fish in cycle now I know better, but she was totally right. These fish easily survived. I still have the original two and they have been moved two additional times and are always healthy. I have yet to see one die in two years of keeping this fish. When the world ends all that will remain are cockroaches and black skirt tetras. Also they give an amazing flash of silver to a planted tank and don't look out of place. I love how they "blip" vertically to keep from sinking when they're not swimming around.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Great fish for the ambitious newbie. They can survive those "newbie lessons" pretty well. When active they are very entertaining. Mine will tend to spread out from time to time. If I were to have a complaint I would say that given other confessions about how these guys can be aggressive-I could see that. I'm hoping to eventually get Angels. I could totally see these guys being jerks to a fish with long fins. They may find a new home once the Angels come along.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This fish is the best tetra for larger, predator-themed tanks because of their nature and rounded shape. I have ten of these little rascals in my tank right now. Heck, they even started bullying my more aggressive fish the first day they were introduced!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I had 3 of these in with a crowntail betta and some other fish and they chewed the tail on my betta after about a week. They look nice in a tank and are very hardy, but I would put them with more aggressive fish. On a side note...if you ever have to get them out of your tank, they are EXTREMELY hard to catch!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had one and it gave my tank the infamous disease Ich. Killed all 20 or so fish I had in my 45 gallon tank. Wouldn't recommend...

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
If you have agressivity problems with this tetra then your tank is too small for those, and/or overstocked. I have 9 of these living peacefully with cardinal tetras, the cardinal being 3-4 smaller. But it's a 65 gallon tank. This fish requires plenty of space, and can be a very fast swimmer at times (a rocket). I do not think shrimps have a chance with them.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
You're gonna need at least 6, and they'll kill shrimp. They're boisterous, so no shy fish, but provided they have plenty of space and some companions they're fine with larger fish. Don't keep with small things like pencilfish, they scare the little guys, and don't keep with bettas. I had some in with a female betta and they started eating her fins, so they had to go. Too boisterous for a tank with tiny fish, good for a tank with something larger. Incredibly hard to re-capture. Try leaving the net in the tank for a few days, then put food in the net and swoop it up. They're fast but greedy, so any good food should bring them darting up. Oh, and they're smart when it comes to avoiding a net. Drove me nuts when I had to get 5 out of a tannin-and-stick-filled community tank.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
plz delete