Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon Herbertaxelrodi)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1719

Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon Herbertaxelrodi)

Information

Common Name: Black Neon Tetra
Proper Name: Hyphessobrycon Herbertaxelrodi
Category: Characins
Temperature: 22 - 26 C
Temperament Schooling
Maximum Size: 4.5 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have had 18 of them for 1.5 years. Super healthy and friendly fish. Mine school nicely and are not picky eaters. The largest of the bunch are a bit over 2".

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Great fish. Easy to keep, friendly, and schooling.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Prefer these to neon tetras. They school tightly and glow greenish under certain lighting.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
I bought 1 cause my LFS only had 1 left in stock, and then I realized they like to school and haven't been able to find anymore, so I got some neon tetras and they have schooled up with him.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
One of my favorite fishes, only have five at the moment how ever I've had them for a little over a year now. Schools together nicely, a little shy at times but will readily take food So I've been kind of lazy with my tank and let the plants go wild, but I've been feeding them normally and doing water changes; however they've managed to breed successfully and i'm currently up to about 11 fishes.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Great schooling fish, grow large and very very active.

Your Avatar
I have had 5 Black Neons for about four months, they have pretty colors and interact well with my jumbo neon tetras, sometimes they school together with them. Great community fish. I don't see any shyness with them at all, they are always front and center in the tank. If you want to keep them happy be sure you have a power head, they love to swim in the current and seem to take turns riding the water flow down to the substrate, very amusing!. Don't over feed them, better to do a few small feedings a day instead of one big one, but that goes for any neons.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This was my longest living fish. I had a pair of these live in several tanks over the years. They lived to the ripe old age of 6 years old. They went through all my trials of newbie hood. They finally died when suddenly something happened to my water and everything died.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I think the temp info needs some updating as they have no issues with warmer water. I keep my tank at 81 F because of my Rams and Apistos and they are happy as could be.