Least Killifish (Heterandria Formosa)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 818
Total Comments: 1681

Least Killifish (Heterandria Formosa)

Information

Common Name: Least Killifish
Proper Name: Heterandria Formosa
Category: Live-bearers
Temperature: 16 - 29 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 3 cm

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I love these little fish. They are a great choice for small aquaria. they can thrive in small tanks with little or no filtration. They love plants. they give birth to live young one at a time. I highly recommend you try them

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I own a pair of these fish and they are **I think(they are still fry)** male and female and they are doing great. The live with atleast 5 baby cories in a 2.5gal and don't complain. They love the Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms...but don't touch flakes!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had a batch of 10 these guys for a year or so. Absolutely love them! coloring wise they are kinda bland, but they are really fun to watch and have great personalities. Get along with all sorts of fish. Just don't put larger fish in with them that might eat them as they are pretty small.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
The males are around 1/3 the mass of the females. The males were the only ones I found interesting but they started hiding in the rocks to survive after I put larger fish in the tank. Drab looking and in the habit of eating snail antennaes, I eventually gave them away. Right afterwards I started seeing water fleas in my tank for the first time, I think they were eating them all before. edit: I have white cloud minnows as my dither fish now and the Hets were fish geniuses compared to the white clouds.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Love these fish and have heard lots of good things about them. You can keep a small colony in a 5g tank and I can't wait till I get mine!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Thinking of getting some of these for my heavy planted 30 gallon and i have a peaceful gold gourami and a cray, do you think these guys would be good. also are these guys schooling fish?

Your Avatar
Of all the species that once can catch with dip net in the lake in my south florida backyard, these little guys are my favoriate for the aquarium. I have a 55 community tank, tons of plants, three shoals of various neons, some platies, ghost shrimp and these guys. I have black substrate and the babies are well hidden and the community grows and thrives. Until just exploring this web site, I did not know their name, thanks!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
were can i find these fish? i can't catch any (obviosly) any close shops that have em? in south michigan