Forktail Rainbow, Forktail Blue-Eye Rainbow, Blue-Eye Rainbow, Furcata Rainbow (Pseudomugil furcatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 823
Total Comments: 1703

Forktail Rainbow, Forktail Blue-Eye Rainbow, Blue-Eye Rainbow, Furcata Rainbow (Pseudomugil furcatus)

Information

Common Name: Forktail Rainbow, Forktail Blue-Eye Rainbow, Blue-Eye Rainbow, Furcata Rainbow
Proper Name: Pseudomugil furcatus
Category: Rainbow Fish
Temperature: 24 - 26 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 5.5 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
They have plenty of spunk that is for sure. They are highly active little fish. Watching 2 males show off staking their territory is very humorous. It reminds me of a child placing their thumbs in their ears and wiggling their fingers while blowing a raspberry. They prefer a PH of about 7.5 to 8.0 and a GH of about 12 to 16. The Furcata is considered an omnivorous, peaceful schooling fish but, be warned, they are hyperactive and swim darting around a tank. This could be stressful to other fish. Although most sources say they spend most of their time around the middle and top of an aquarium I find that they spend most of their time virtually everywhere when kept in a large group. Mine seam to rarely school together though. The Furcata is an egg layer. Breeding is considered easy but it is suggested that eggs be removed to prevent them from being eaten.

C2C
Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
these fish are awesome just got a trio

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
I have 7 of these and a handful of eggs nearing the hatching date. They are easy to breed and are undemanding as adults. These Fry are large enough to eat baby Brine Shrimp from the start. You should tumble the eggs or keep the in 'BlueWater' so they don't grow fungus. Males have a lot of spunk and flare their fins often.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had 6 males in a 75 and people completely ignored the larger rainbowfish, these guys were the stars!

Your Avatar
I have two males and four females. They look nice and are very active. One of my males flares his fins and gets in scraps with my flying fox in one particular spot in the tank. Maybe one of the females spawned there? I think having multiple females to one male calms aggressions between males. They have become a new favorite for me.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
damn im not into Rainbow fish but these are nice. Something about Black with yellow outline that make me crazy. lol

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Does anyone know who is selling these? These would look great in my tank!

Your Avatar
I have 3 of these guys (2 males and a female). I am thinking of getting 3 more this week and just now saw the picture here! I love these fish - they are so playful and fun to watch. They love to play in the water flowing back into the tank - will go in and out of the water stream. Very entertaining and I highly recommend!

Your Avatar
I have just got a pair of these lovely little fish in my tank and was wondering if anyone knew if there were any tell tale signs to look out for if the female starts laying eggs? (ie. are they visible with the naked eye or change in behaviour)? i have them in a well planted tank but fear the eggs may be predated by the others which would be a shame. tankmates include bronze and leopard cory's, dwarf and honey gourami's, siamese algae eaters and odessa barbs. any advice would be great.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This is from Live Aquaria. They have the temperament quite different: QUICK STATS Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Aggressive Water Conditions: 72-77° F, KH 12-15, pH 7.5-8.5 Max. Size: 2" Color Form: Tan, Yellow Diet: Omnivore Origin: Australia, New Guinea Family: Pseudomugilidae

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Not suited for topless tanks! IME they can and will jump. I learned this the hard way :(

Images

Forktail Rainbow, Forktail Blue-Eye Rainbow, Blue-Eye Rainbow, Furcata Rainbow