Japanese Trapdoor Snail (Viviparis malleatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1746

Japanese Trapdoor Snail (Viviparis malleatus)

Information

Common Name: Japanese Trapdoor Snail
Proper Name: Viviparis malleatus
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 20 - 30 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 0 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
That's a mighty big snail!

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Have a few in my tank there is one big one thats the momma of the rest they need both a male and female to breed and are live bearers so no messy eggs. they also don't touch any of my plants.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I see those all over the countryside in Vietnam. They taste really good, too

Your Avatar
I wouldnt want one in my tank they just look rank lol

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Where does one get these snails?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These were very popular in the 1970's/80's and I can remember seeing them a lot when I got my first tank, but they seem to be hard to find now. I had to buy these online for my new tank because I couldn't find them anywhere locally. These are, IMO, the best snails to have. They do breed, but they only have a few babies at a time. The babies are about the size of a pea when born, fully formed, shell and all. They don't lay hundreds of eggs like most snails and they're not self-reproducing, you need a male and a female. If you don't want babies, keep just one. I started in my new tank with a group of 5, and I now have about a dozen (that I could see) babies crawling around as well. These snails can get fairly large if kept in a big tank, close to baseball size, and they eat a lot of algae, and will also eat any decaying leaves and uneaten fish food. They don't eat live parts of plants, only dead leaves. Really fantastic critters for keeping the tank clean.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Amazing! I am so tempted to find one of these.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I would like to get some of these snails. What type of algae do they eat?

Your Avatar
I just bought a second Japanese Trapdoor snail. The petshop owner keeps telling me that they are tiger's eye snails, he doesn't know what he has. Anyway I had one and bought another because he was such a good cleaner. What are the odds that my first one was male and my second was female. Only in the tank 1 day and they have already mated. Need to know what the gestation time is and approximately how many babies to expect. Any info would be appreciated.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I have these in my tanks and I love the little guys. Mine came from a pond so they look like moss balls walking around. When I first got them, I put them in a 10 gallon by themselves to make sure they were all alive. A few days later there were babies in the tank. I don't know how many snails gave birth, but there were 8 babies. Now and again I see new small babies in my tank. The grow pretty fast also and get very large. I have one that is the size of a ping pong ball right now. They've also never eaten any of my plants, which I loooove!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Those are HUGE!!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
KILL IT, IT'S SNAILZILLA!!!! xD It's kind of cute. O3O

Your Avatar
I have 8 adult and 6 new infants : ). There isn't a lot of information but one site says that their gestation period is 9 mos. like humans. I don't know. The same site also says they mature at about 24 mos and only live about 36. IDK. I love watching these guys. Their behaviors are fascinating. My kids have decided that they "transport" because you never see them move but one minute they are here and the next, their gone. I think we may start selling these and our RCS locally. None of the local pet stores carry them.