Nerite snails (Neritina reclivata)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1746

Nerite snails (Neritina reclivata)

Information

Common Name: Nerite snails
Proper Name: Neritina reclivata
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 18 - 28 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 0 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Just like a regular snail without the population explosion.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Prefers cooler temps, 70-74F but will still survive tropical temps. Eggs will hatch but will not survive. Mine have been doing fine at tropical temps since June 2008.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I really like my Nerite snails very good at keeping the algae down.

Atl

Your Avatar
I had an olive nerite hitchhike on some plants from my LFS. It took about a week before I learned what species of snail it was, then decided to keep it. Within a couple weeks this one dime-sized snail pretty much cleared up the algae in my 26g bowfront. Wherever it went it left little tire marks in the remaining algae because of its little forked mouthparts... I've had it eat diatoms and green spot algae. It does leave small opaque white eggs scattered everywhere, but the larvae that hatch from them don't appear to grow or really move, so I assume they die (also possible that what I'm seeing is actually some other type of baby snail). I recently moved the nerite to my otherwise empty 10g where it can eat all the diatoms it wants~

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love my nerites. One of them does a great job of cleaning all the brown algae in the tank. The other one just leaves skinny trails through the algae but rides on the shell of the other nerite 75% of the time.