Malayan Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1715

Malayan Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata)

Information

Common Name: Malayan Trumpet Snail
Proper Name: Melanoides tuberculata
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 18 - 28 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 2 cm

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
I personally think these snails are the workhorses of the planted tank. Much like earthworms in an outside garden. They burrow through the top inch or so of the substrate, so they help oxygenate plant roots as well as help prevent hydrogen sulfide pockets. Also, since they're livebearers, they won't leave any yucky snail egg casings all over the tank walls and plants. As with most snails their population does tend to explode from time to time; especially if you're overfeeding the fish. They're easy to bait and remove from the tank, however; I use sinking catfish wafers and place them inside a fish net resting on the bottom of the tank. Just lift the net in a few hours and you'll have tons of snails inside.

Gar
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I agree with LL - if the population gets too big, add something that will eat them. Lord knows one will never be rid of them all without hours of tedious work!

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
As stated above, they seem quite useful in a planted tank, as long as they are kept under control. Once a week I run out all the lights, wait an hour and then come back in and kill all the babies on the glass. This helps with population control. I call it the 'Glass-N-Smash' method :)

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have a very small variety, maybe 1-2mm. Thankfully, they have never made a nuisance of themselves.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Shrimp are great at eradicating an exploded population. These snails are sold on the internet for being great algae eaters. The Malaysian Trumpet Snails are pretty sweet snails as long as they aren't eating up your plants' leaves! They're like horses plowing a field sifting gravel and fertilizer medium.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have kept gravel from an old aquarium that had MTS in it in a bin in my garage for 15 years, washed it out and started a new tank with it. few weeks later i have baby MTS crawling over the glass. Amazing species

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
must have in any planted tank. aerates the substrate does not disturb the roots

Abs

Your Avatar
place 1 in my nano 5gal. does well and digs substrate

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
does anyone know if they can be trusted with fish eggs??

Your Avatar
I live in Attalla, Alabama and caught these last year at a creek near my home. The bear live young, don't over populate, and burrow in the substrate keeping it very clean. I do, however, have to pick the snails that came in on my plants off the glass every day to keep their population down. I'd like to be rid of them but I'm hesitant to get some assassin snails for fear of them killing my native snails.

Your Avatar
Uuuhhh.... how do you post pics?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
You'll definitely know when you're feeding your fish too much. These guys will come out and cover the entire floor eating the leftover flakes.

Your Avatar
I agree these are a must need for planted tanks, but they do cause problems for me. Any bulb that I'm trying to grow that still floats will most definitely be flung upwards by these guys, also, trying to root Wisteria is near impossible. Finally, I like to put in a few Assassin Snails to liven up the tank and watch them fight to the death.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I accidentally bleached some of these, thought I got them all out of a tank and turns out there were a few micro ones. I let the whole tank sit in bleach. When I filled the tank after sanitizing, there they were climbing the glass. I don't suggest that, but they are hardier little buggers.

Your Avatar
I can't say I could honestly do without these little guys. Ever working, ever tunneling and ever cleaning... These guys are the constant gardeners in any planted tank. I keep these in all, repeat, ALL my tanks. They do an amazing job turning the sand in my tanks, and creating an absolutely perfect environment for my plants to thrive in. If you could see some of the root structures in my tanks I think you'd all agree. ;-)

Your Avatar
No need to kill the poor things!! if yr over populated then cut down on feeding...their numbers rise and fall with availability of food, they dont eat yr live plants but will happily munch on decaying / dying plant matter. Shame on the snail killers..they are part of the aquatic world and to rid them because you dont like them is just plain outright cruel

Your Avatar
Everywhere i look theres a pesky human wondering around, they seem quite nice but when i see too many i like to squish thier heads against a ball of mud, they dont feel it if done quick so whats the harm ;)

Images

Malayan Trumpet Snail
Malayan Trumpet Snail
Malayan Trumpet Snail