Zebra Apple Snail (Asolene spixi )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1709

Zebra Apple Snail (Asolene spixi )

Information

Common Name: Zebra Apple Snail
Proper Name: Asolene spixi
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 18 - 28 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 2.5 cm

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Love these little guys. they do east plants if there not well fed and actually take a liking to specific plants and leave other alone. they are also carnivores and will eat other snails.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I like my spixi snails. They eat more algae and more types of algae than any other invert, including RCS and olive nerite snails. And they don't multiply in my tank unless I drop in an algae wafer. Glad I got these. And I can sell them to the LFS too.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had no issues with these snails eating healthy plants. They will feed on decaying plant matter. They coexist very well in my community tank, and like to be tweezer-fed bloodworms. They will eat whatever leftovers they find along their wandering as well.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I bought 10 of these from aquabid and they got to me here in Los Angeles two days before the city set its all time recorded temperature record. Lost all 10. I'll prolly give them a second shot, its such a pretty snail.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I kept them in small fishbowls and they are just fine. :3

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
i have a group in my planted tank they are fun to watch and they never eat my plants

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Do they multiply fast ,or by themselves?

Images

Zebra Apple Snail