Singapore Wood Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1727

Singapore Wood Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis)

Information

Common Name: Singapore Wood Shrimp
Proper Name: Atyopsis moluccensis
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 22 - 29 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 10 cm

Your Avatar
An interesting little critter that will do well in many varieties of commuity setups. It's front "hands" have a fan like structure which they use to filter ediable particales out of the water. You will notice these guys hanging out near filter outputs "fanning" the water for food. The biggest I've ever seen one was about 4 1/2 - 5 inches. They also go by the names Marble Shrimp and Bamboo Shrimp.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I've had one of these 2+ years and he does fine. He always finds something to eat in my crystal clear water. They have the ability to pick up larger food particles if they have to so they can survive in clear water.

Your Avatar
[COLOR="Green"]I bought one of these two monthes ago and love it. He always stays in about the same area near the filter output. He is more reddish than this photo but that probably doesn't matter. I thought I needed bambo for the guy so I put some in my tank and I dont think he has ever touched it! [/COLOR]

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Love my bamboo shrimp, he's about 3in long. can really make a tank unique! not everyone has a big ol' red shrimp...

Your Avatar
Pretty fish it sound like you have a singapore flower shrimp, which look pretty much the same but have more of a red color. My two Wood Shrimp do great in my 30g. They hang out on my koralia under my AC50 all day long picking up food

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
What is most fascinating about these shrimp is the effectiveness of their fan cleaning system (mouth). They have fine hair structures that gather the tiniest bits of debris and then they clean it off quickly to absolutely perfectly clean again. Its incredible. My friend has two and they wrestle for the best feeding spots once in a while. They are gentle and mainly try to intimidate each other for a few moments then give up and start eating again.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These shrimp can change color whenever they feel like it. I think it has something to do with the water though. I bought mine brown then he turned bright red within a day of putting him in my tank. His color dulled down to orange and now hes a yellowy brown or very light tan. I always though that was very interesting.

Your Avatar
Love my Wood Shrimp. Hes about 3" long. He'll grab on to a leaf and surf it in the current trying to fan something to eat.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Great shrimp, i struggled at first as the water was too clean. If you see them 'gravel cleaning' then there isnt enough food for them in the water. Simple answer is finely crushed fish flake, add a little more current or fish fry food. Dont be scared if one doesnt move for a while, they might just be shedding. Also have been told adding iodine to the water is good to aid shedding? havent tried it though..

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This is one of the coolest freshwater inverts that is currently available to the hobby. I have two of them (one 3", one 4") in a small community tank, and they are always the center of attention when people see my tanks. I have six pieces of bamboo in the tank, the two Bamboo Shrimp, two Albino Dwarf Bristlenose Plecos, two Indian Dwarf Puffers, two Cherry Barbs, and a Dojo Loach in my 6 gallon tank, and everyone seems to get along fine. A few tips for keeping this species: if you are putting them into a 'community' tank, make sure that the shrimp are bigger than the fish to decrease the chances of predation; do NOT put these inverts into an unestablished tank or else they will starve (though this can be avoided by supplemental feeding); and lastly, be sure to place some object in the tank that allows them to perch directly in the outflow of your filter to insure that they are able to feed from the current. If your Bamboo Shrimp goes for more than about three months without molting, or if it is straining your substrate for food, then it is probably starving. These shrimp are a great introduction to freshwater inverts, and make a great centerpiece in a display tank. One more thing: I have noticed that when they molt they get a real dull, subdued look to them a few days before they do, and they also get very active and jet around the tank frantically. They both do this. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks!

H is for Hillstream

Your Avatar
****MUST HAVE ESTABLISHED TANK**** I have been through three of these. they are great shrimp, and super cool to see. all three of mine would be out and about feeding for a couple hours and then back to their hiding places. I lost my first two to suicide, my PH was 8.7. my third i lost to an ammonia spike, when i reagrranged my tank and stirred up to much sand. great shrimp, but can be a little temper mental.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My bamboo shrimp found a nice spot with a current underneath some driftwood so I never see him except when I rearrange the setup =/

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Also known as a Flower Shrimp

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I used to have one of these little guys and he always hung out IN my HOB filter, I could always see his tail sticking out of the outflow spout. He survived for about 1 year. Pretty hardy and fun to watch.

Your Avatar
My local lfs has a couple of these but before I buy I want to be confident they will be happy in my tank. What water parameters do they need to thrive? pH? hardness? temperature? Thanks for any information.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
A cap fill of Marine Plankton is essential to there diet. I use Zooplankton and add a cap every water change.

Your Avatar
These are my favorite shrimp of all. I currently have 5 and 1 vampire shrimp. They change colors frequently...from red to yellow-ish to brown. They really love baby brine shrimp and every once in a while if I crumple up the repashi real fine, they will chomp away. I know they need brackish water to reproduce...but a girl can hope!

Your Avatar
woah i just found out what i wanna put in my new tank.....a giant shrimp and some giant vals

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I put a teaspoon of powdered spirulina algae into the tank every couple of days to keep my wood shrimp fed and happy.

Images

Singapore Wood Shrimp