Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1738

Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)

Information

Common Name: Amano Shrimp
Proper Name: Caridina japonica
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 7 - 28 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 3.25 cm

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
this famous shrimp has a wide reputation for its ability to eat hair algae as well as other types of algae. its great in a heavily planted tank because they keep everything clean. its so much watching these little shrimp climb around the plants and wood picking algae with their tiny little hands and feeding themselves. they keep the aquarium clean by feeding on algae, detrious, dead plant matter and even dead fish. this omnivore is truly unmatched. They grow to a few inches with the females being bigger. the difference can be seen in the middle line of markings, the females have dots that look more like a broken up line and the males look like they have clearly distinct different dots. they will breed easily in the aquarium however rasing the fry is very hard because they require some form of salinity in order to grow to adults, the amount is still to be determined between 17 ppm to full strength sea water with 34 ppm. the debate continues but these shrimp continue to thrive in many of our aquariums

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Does not eat glass algae (very very short algae which grows on glass), or marimo moss balls (which is an algae), and I don't have hair algae. Does not breed in freshwater. Eats fish flake and any other fish food just fine. I have had mine for 12+ months. The female has eggs for a while (60 days?), they hatch, and 3 days later has more eggs. Larva do not survive. Great peaceful shrimp otherwise. Big enough with clear bodies to see their insidey parts.

Your Avatar
Do you think these will go well with my chinese fire bellied newts?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
They are a bit to big for fire bellies

Your Avatar
I have two of these fellows and I they are a lot of fun to watch and need little attention if provided for in a well planted tank since they often are happy enough to eat decaying plant matter and algae.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
i always thought that they were dead cause i saw there molded skin moving around in the water, but later i find out that this is normal as they mold once in a while and they like to hide when this occurs. they do clean algae but still you must feed them pellets or flake. i have 4 of these and looking forward to buy more, once my tank is full of plants.

Your Avatar
When i first got some i liked them alot more than my cherries because their personality is much more energetic. They grow pretty big tho! Their frenetic activity began to bother me. They began to bully my cherry shrimp, and they cleaned my HC with so much zeal that they would uproot it! When i watched them tackle and tear apart live bloodworms i stopped thinking their personalities are cute. :P

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Ive got three of these guys in a 75 medium density planted tank the three of them do tremendous work bassed on the size of my tank and even survived a copper spike that killed off a dozzen or so marble crayfish/crawdads i knotice the three of them liek to hang out togeather hanging upside down in a darkspot under my drift wood watching them cruze around can definatly catch your eye

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had 5 of these guys with my tigerbarbs in a 20gal and they do a great job cleaning. they also have no problem chaising off any of my barbs that want to come too close to them.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
these guys for sure is marimo balls, or atleast love to eat on top of them, so fun watching them I want some more, mine carpet surfed

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
This shrimp is a great invert for beginners but still holds enough charm to satisfy diehard aquarium enthusiasts. I have five of them in a 36 gallon tank that was set up for German Blue Rams, and I find that I enjoy watching the Amano Shrimp more than my Rams most of the time. These are a lot easier to feed and care for than Bamboo Shrimp, and make a good addition to a tank with smaller fish or mid-sized non-predatory fish. If you are going to add these to a community tank, I have found that it helps if you add the shrimp before the fish, in order to establish seniority and thus decrease the chances of them becoming a snack for an opportunistic established fish. If you keep these shrimp in groups they have very interesting social behavior that is fun to watch. I have several pieces of driftwood in my tank, and all five of them congregate in the same section of a particular piece of driftwood, all facing the same direction and in the same order. I have not heard of this shrimp behaving in such a manner before, and I wonder if there is simply something on the driftwood that they like to snack on, or if they just like the water flow of that spot. I also considered that this may be a territorial behavior, and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had similar experience with these shrimps.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I have 11 in a 55G tank and I never seen any disputes. As long as they were fed they should not pose a problem. I've even kept them with small pymgy cories and they did not chase or eat them. They will eat duckweed and dead fish. I find their activity much exciting to watch than fish. Unlike fish, they're not always trying to dominate one another and just dig through the gravel or the plants to eat. They do poop a lot if they are always eating.

Atl

Your Avatar
I've had 5 amano shrimp for about a week now (my first shrimp) and they're the most active inhabitants in my 26g. They're always busying themselves cleaning the plants--they especially seem to love the ambulia. They're always out in the open so they're not shy at all; they even swim in open water and walk along the glass. In fact, when I put my hand in the tank today, I had three of them land on my hand and start cleaning away... quite an odd feeling. They're not bothered by my harlequin rasboras and I've seen them feeding on the gravel along with my cories. (I haven't noticed much of a change in algae levels, but I didn't have very much when they were introduced either.) Overall lovely little shrimp.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Hey i have seen these before and was woundering maybe to get some but 1 how many do i need is 3 enough 2 are they okay with bottom feeding fish like my 2 bristle nose plecs?

Your Avatar
These guys are amazing. when i put the bag in my tank preparing to transfer them in they noticed the algae on my plants and kept trying to get through the bag to get to it. immediatly upon release into the tank they went straight to work cleaning everything they could find

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I LOVE having amano shrimps in all of my aquariums! Such great cleaners are are always so active! However... for me, they tend to walk out of the tanks.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love my amano shrimp also ,but they sure are greedy little buggers. When I feed my fish shrimp pellets or algea wafers those suckers do their best to steal them away from the fish!

H is for Hillstream

Your Avatar
these guys are great, and super easy to care for. however they love my driftwood for some reason, they are eating so much of my driftwood that that is starting to change color.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
great active feeders but poo like mad

Your Avatar
i have a 10 liters tank planted with baby tears on all ground and riccia moss on a wood and some elodea in it too. how many shrimp can i keep in this tank? (amano and some of anothers. there is 4 tetra cardinal fishes now) rhank alot

Your Avatar
Great things to have in tanks, very very peaceful. Always snatch algae pellets intended for my corys though. Hair algae no more. But beware they may jump out of water in distress (my own experience when my pH level dropped).

Your Avatar
Great things to have in tanks, very very peaceful. Always snatch algae pellets intended for my corys though. Hair algae no more. But beware they may jump out of water in distress (my own experience when my pH level dropped).

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
These are my favorite shrimp I can keep them with a lot of different inhabitants. They are really hearty and can survive in all types of water conditions. They are a big part of my clean up crew, zebra snail, amano shrimp, bristlenose plecos

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I have approx 15. They do wander the tank, although they mainly stay around on my driftwood mass. They can either see or sense when I drop algae wafers in, and I can hand feed them by giving it straight to them or leaving it in the water and the will swim to my hand to take it. No complaints. They get big enough to avoid being food for a lot of fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I love amano shrimp. They are so entertaining to watch. If you drop fish food in they will grab a flake in their little claws and swim off and eat it. They actually have personality too. They wont harm your fish because they don't have real claws... they are more tiny little hands for picking up food. If you ever see amano shrimp eating a dead fish, know that they didn't kill it themselves... it was just opportunistic scavenging after the fish died. I see people mistakenly think the shrimp killed their fish just because they are eating it. I know they technically do eat algea... but it seems to be their last resort. They will always eat fish food first.

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
In my experience, they are much hardier than red cherry shrimp. They are best known for their algae eating capabilities in a planted tank, but they will not eat all kinds of algae. However keep in mind that they probably prefer fish food over algae. Definitely more robust than red cherry shrimp, so you have more options for tank mates. A very neat addition to a planted tank provided it has peaceful tank mates.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My favorite. Awesome algae eater. I would remain calm if you think you're finding their 'dead bodies' around the tank. I was mad at my fish because I thought they nipped the shrimps to death lol. It turns out they shed/mold every week. So I was just finding the molds. I would recommend these shrimp over any other

Images

Amano Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Amano Shrimp