Red Cherry Shrimp ( Neocaridina denticulata sinensis)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1746

Red Cherry Shrimp ( Neocaridina denticulata sinensis)

Information

Common Name: Red Cherry Shrimp
Proper Name: Neocaridina denticulata sinensis
Category: Invertebrates
Temperature: 72 - 80 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 2 cm

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
My colony of RCS quickly became my favorite tank! These little guys are beautiful, prolific, and always very active. I can just sit and watch them for hours, they're always running around doing something! Great algae-eaters, too.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
72 - 80 Celsius??? LOL

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Burns

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
ya sorry about that i think i was reading Fahrenheit when i was doing this and just transfered it with out looking lol

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Some populations may or may not eat algae. Mine sure don't. They appear to pick at the algae but I think mine are eating the microfauna that grows on the glass.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had bought a few of these a couple months back and before they could make themselves at home, my female bettas had a big dinner. The only tell-tale sign was the red-colored poo coming out of them. I then managed to save the last one and relocate it to a breeder trap in another tank where it seemed content for a couple of weeks. Then it escape/disappear for a few weeks. Then it was found squished underneath the filter floss of our HOB filter. I took a chance with it living in a tank with my male betta. For a good couple of weeks, they co-existed peacefully until he, too, became red-colored fish poo.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I love these little guys but not easy to keep. All of mine just slowely died.

Your Avatar
Got 3 of these yesterday. One known dead so far. Can't find the other 2. Water is probably too warm @ 87.5F? Cycling tank for eventual Discus habitat.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I got some of these. Very active little critters. They like to clean the plants.

Your Avatar
Had mine for quite a while in my 30g. Betta never bothers them. They like to pick food off of the drift wood and play in the java moss alot. I keep them at 80F. They started out kinda bland but after a week they got very very red

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I picked up 6 RCS and 2 Amamo in late June, on a whim, then took off for a 2 week vacation. While on vacation I started looking more deeply into the RCS because I too were mesmerized by them. As I read I realized that I had committed them to their Doom. I have 3 yoyo loaches and everything I read said they loved RCS. To my surprise when I got home is had 5 of the 6 intact and both Amano's were still around. It is now late August and I have about 12 RCS in 4 size groups so I assume 4 different spawnings.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I got about 10 of these 2 years ago. I now have a healthy population (dozens) in 3 different tanks. All I really do to care for them is have a shrimp-proof barrier on the filter intake and don't stock with any fish that might find them tasty.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
These guys are farmers so thy will never eradicate your tank of algae, that is their only food source (as far as they know), so they do not want to eliminate it. Just mow it down and let it re-grow. At least that is my experience.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
do neons eat juvinille cherrys?

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Where can you get these guys for a dollar each? I've heard that there was a place but can't find them at that price. also would I have to keep them away from my 2 great danios, 2 gaurami, 3 guppies, pleco 5 tiger barbs or the Kuhli Loach in a 55 gallon? I want to breed them but dont know where to get them cheap or what is safe enough. I have a 1.5 gallon tank with nothing in it could i use that as a breeder tank?

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Find a friend who has a few, as they are very prolific its almost shocking that they sell for $5 each. It only takes a few months and you can have hundreds. I am getting a colony from a friend who has a tank full of them.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I started with 20, about a month later I have nearly 50 (that are visible). It's hard to tell the actual number because they are in heavily planted 10 gal with no heater.

Your Avatar
i have a question about these guys... i have a 10 gallon planted threadfin species tank and would love to have them as my clean up crew but cant seem to keep them alive my water quality is good but with in hours of putting some in my tank they will be belly up? Need some help guys!

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
who could fix the C to F on the Temperature. mine just had a babies and they seems to be doing very well, but i hardly see them, they seems to hide allot.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
A very hardy shrimp species, i keep them in two tanks PH7 and 8dKh/8dGh PH7.8 and 4dKh/8dGh dosing metricide at double excel dosage and they still thrive.

Your Avatar
I have 7 or so by themselves in a 5 gallon planted tank. I really like them but none of the ladies are getting knocked up. I want babies :/

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
"i have a question about these guys... i have a 10 gallon planted threadfin species tank and would love to have them as my clean up crew but cant seem to keep them alive my water quality is good but with in hours of putting some in my tank they will be belly up? Need some help guys!" it sounds like you need to give them more time to acclimate to your water if they die within a couple hours. try floating the bag of them and slowly adding water from your tank over a couple of hours and they should be just fine.

Your Avatar
Great shrimp!!! As far as I can observe, they are very hardy shrimp and MOST RECOMMENDED for invertebrates lover.. I have 2 pair of them NOTE: male are less red to transparent in color, female are red to solid red in color.. One of the female is in the egg phase right now.. I can see it's carrying green eggs with the shape of a saddle behind it's head..It's been changing shell several times..Very peaceful creature but sometimes end up in a fight with their own when it comes to food.. They live happily in the combination of plant, sand and wood of my aquarium :)

Your Avatar
What do they eat?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Greetings! Newbie to this forum. Just wondering if anyone knows of a local seller in Phoenix, AZ of these cuties...

Your Avatar
Are these good for tanks with mildly-aggressive fish?

Your Avatar
How long does it take for a saddled female to berry, and then to hatch babies?

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I just ordered 20 of these from TankZen here on plantedtank.net. These will be my first shrimp. TankZen was nice enough to send me a link to a website full of information about shrimp and other inverts. I thought I'd share the link with ya'll here. http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html Edit: I've had my RCS now for a couple months. They are multiplying like crazy and doing very well! They are fascinating to watch - always busy doing something! I'd highly recommend these for anyone looking to get shrimp for the first time!

Your Avatar
as cow girl pointed out http://www.planetinverts.com/myths.html One of the best sites for information on all sorts of aquatic invertebrates. Personal experience myths: Flourish excel and CO2 dosed tank, no issues with shrimp activity in fact quite the opposite. Food types excepted so far, Algae wafers, cucumber or zucchini, wafer foods, lets face it anything, although one thing is definate they like water changes currently doing 20-30% on a weekly basis. Fertilisers myth tank is dosed weekly with flourish and no issues. Inevitably it comes down to one thing as long as your plants take the nutrients in and their is food in the tank, these little critters thrive. Currently in a 40 litre tank im at around 50 plus with most of the females pregnant.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I bought 30 cherry shrimp about 6 monthes ago, and since then I have sold 517 back to the local fish shops, and I bet that I have at least 500 in different stages of development right now. I'm loving it.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Keep a magnifying glass by your tank cuz these are tiny little guys. Fun to watch swim from plant to plant with their little swimmers. They breed like crazy when the parameters are good and consistent. They adapt to any water but prefer slightly acidic. They give birth to mini versions of themselves so you can watch the little babies swim around the tank which is also why sponge filters are very popular when you keep shrimp, otherwise put a nylon or sponge over the filter intake. Java moss is highly recommended in a shrimp tank because the tiny shrimplets eat the microorganisms found on the java moss fronds. The adults eat mostly algae but love supplements especially blanched spinach or seaweed wafers. Selective breeding has led to the fire red shrimp which is more stunning in color.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
These are awesome things to keep. I have a colony of them in my 10 gallon, they are really active and super to watch. I once watched them for an hour, never got bored. One of my males apparently got grown up, so suddenly (Almost overnight) I had 5 berried females. Expecting batches in about two weeks. A few things that should be mentioned: 1. RCS (Or any shrimp for that matter) will not tolerate any ammonia or nitrItes in the water, and nitrates should be kept to an absolute minimum. I do a 50% water change a week, and the tank stays clean. They should be kept in a tank that has been cycled for at least six months. 2. Breeding requires a species only tank that has plenty of plants. I recommend Java Moss, Anacharis, Marimo Moss balls, and others. Another memo is that if you run a power/HOB filter in their tank and you want to breed, get a sponge so the shrimplets don't get sucked up and pureed. They love to pick at the microorganisms on plants, so that's what they need. If it matters, I keep them in a tank that has been cycled for 7 months at a pH of 8.0-8.2, temperature STAYS at 75 F, 50% water change with gravel vacuum weekly, I feed Fluval Shrimp Granules, and I have a growing number of plants. Gravel substrate, with an Aqueon Quietflow 10 with a fluval pre-filter sponge on the intake. These are a beginner shrimp, but do not mistake their needs. They require some work and patience, but keeping a colony can give you confidence and possibly monetary gain while you push for those pretty Crystal Red Shrimp or other colorful breeds. These are great little guys, I highly recommend them to any enthusiast. Good luck! Hope I helped!!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nice little guys they are, I bought about 9 about 4 weeks ago and put them into my planted tank which houses 9 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, 4 Otto, a few Amano Shrimp and some Crystal Reds. A few days ago I noticed a few little shrimp on the Java moss and plants, they have now got their red colour. The RCS I got are really bright red, they breed so fast!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i got 6 of these few days ago. i have dropped some fish food and a zukini but they just ignore it. all day do is pick on the pants and driftwood. seems liek they take bits and pieces and put in theyr mouths. i hope they dont die on ,me. Update: they have bred and keep breeding, various sizes of shrimplets. made a new 45g tank for them. will cycle and mature it first. could any one recommend a fish other than ottos that i could keep with shrimplets? maybe dwarf pencil fish or neon tetras? thanks

Your Avatar
What other Shrimps can live with the Red Cherry Shrimp?

Your Avatar
i am starting up a fluval flora nano tank and i will stock it with RCS i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what plants i should add?

Your Avatar
bought 15 of these guys at my lfs and added them to my fluval flora. After a week they seem to have settled in well and they like to graze on java moss for algae.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I would like to get some shrimps and have heard that these are the hardiest, my tap water has 50 mg/l nitrates and so does my tank, would RCS survive this or be wiped out? Any help appreciated!

Your Avatar
Love these guys. Bought about 15 (package came with more) and after a few months I have tons. Usually younger are clearer and older are darker. Very active and in a nice clean good flow tank these guys will thrive. Will eat food particles and wafers though best to try and let them eat all the algae they can.

Your Avatar
should i ad maybe 5 of these to my group of ghosts in my 10 gallon....its fully planted

Your Avatar
can anyone give me some ideas on where to get some red cherry shrimp please

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
one out of the 12 LFS in my town sells these guys and rarely has more then 3-4 just glad i found one that sells em lovely critters to have if you only have a small tank

Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
In my experience, much more sensitive to water conditions to any fish I have ever kept. Although the water conditions do not have to be precise as long as they are stable and the extremes are avoided. Can be kept in cooler waters maybe down to the low 60s, although they are less likely to breed. I believe the optimal temperature is the low to mid 70s. Do not keep with any fish if you intend to breed a colony. I heard otos are safe with them, but I have yet to test this theory. Just put java moss in the tank and let them do the rest. Overall, my favorite shrimp in the hobby due to wonderful coloration, hardiness, and prolific breeding.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
my bristlnose gets along fine with my RCS ive seen the shrimp sitting on him a fairbit

Your Avatar
Do they need to be in at least two, or can they be kept alone? Also will fish eat them? Tks

Your Avatar
87.5 F !! Most fish don't even like it that hot! Are you making tea or having an aquarium?

Planted Member

Your Avatar
72 C lol Had better luck with Amano's . I would recommend these. Never really saw them eating algae though, probably because I have them algae wafers.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've got a bunch in my 5 gallon. Good for starters of shrimp keeping (like me) but are still kinda sensitive. i recommend moss(lots of it).

Images

Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp
Red Cherry Shrimp