Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 815
Total Comments: 1630

Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus)

Information

Common Name: Platy
Proper Name: Xiphophorus maculatus
Category: Live-bearers
Temperature: 18 - 28 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 5 cm

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
Platies are one of the most common fish recommended for beginning hobbyists due to their hardiness and prolific breeding. There are many domesticated strains available displaying many beautiful colors. Perhaps their only drawback is that they are capable of overpopulating a tank due to their rapid reproductive rates. Males are smaller and slimmer than females, and possess the modified anal fin gonopodium used in passing sperm to the female. Females are capable of storing sperm and giving birth to live fry long after being separated from males.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
is there any way inches can be used also? Cause I never learned metric as many Americans never learned it.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
New image of a Sunburst Wag Platy thanks to www.vaquariumthailand.com

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Platies are great beginner fish as previously stated. There are 2 downfalls to having them. 1. They reproduce a LOT 2. They eat a lot. Just make sure not to over feed them because they will keep eating and always act hungry. They are funny little guys though, fun fish to have.

Abs

Your Avatar
very prolific i have five and four are pregnant1 oh im stressed with thir hundreds of fry!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The babies love freeze-dried daphnia

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've just finished cycling my new 30 gallon and I'm doing well with my zebra danios. I'd like to add platies, but I keep hearing they need salt. I'm afraid salt would mean death for my plants, so I'm not keen on adding it... do they REALLY need salt?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
some interesting vairiations available and very active plus easy to breed at least 3 to a tank 2 females per male

Your Avatar
platies don't need salt although they a are type of fish with a weaker immune system, so some brackish-freshwater aquarium salt is always good, and don't worry about your plants, as low levels of salt don't hurt. DON'T USE TABLE/ SEA SALT because it is NOT meant for fish

Images

Platy
Platy
Platy
Platy
Platy