Banjo cat (Bunocephalus coracoideus )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 825
Total Comments: 1729

Banjo cat (Bunocephalus coracoideus )

Information

Common Name: Banjo cat
Proper Name: Bunocephalus coracoideus
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 20 - 27 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 150 cm

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
sorry there was a type o when doing this, the fish grows to 15cm not 150cm

Your Avatar
i had a banjo some years back,give this cat a soft sandy substrate as it loves to bury itself away,you will rearly see this great unusual fish.

CL
C-A-T-S

Your Avatar
Very very nocturnal fish. I have had mine for 3 years and it is still around 3 cm. If the lights are on, you can move it and it wont try to swim away, I never see it active.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
These fish are very nocturnal. You have to have plenty of cover for them to scavage during the day time if you hope to see them in action. I'll drop blood worms in the tank for my banjo and he'll spend a few minutes swimming around feeding. Very cool fish and dont be fooled, they get pretty big. I feed mine ghost shrimp, carnivor pellets, blood worms and even algae waffers. Hes growing fast. Hes doubled in size in jus a few short months and isnt slowing down. Very docile fish and safe on plants to.

Your Avatar
Only pokes its head out to feed. I dont see it much.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I adopted one of these guys a few weeks ago from someone experiencing some general tank problems and decided to tear down. I have seen it once since then, when I tore down the tank to rehome everything to the nice big tank I recieved from the same woman who gave me the fish. I had to take everything else out and carefully observe the sand bed for gill action. My specimen will also tense up and sit still when disturbed; so, no nets necessary and no rediculous fish chase...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I loved my banjos, but I noticed no one has said this... They will become predatory on very small fish when they get to be large. They are usually small, skinny, and docile when you buy them, but mine tripled in size in a couple months, and I noticed they would "hunt" in packs at night. They were mostly satisfied with eating my ghost shrimp and algae pellets, but I noticed they ate a small cardinal tetra from time to time. Just be wary of this if you are thinking of adding banjos to your tank. I recommend that you get multiples (3 ), as they tend to borrow in the general vicinity of each other during the day and feed together at night. I noticed a positive difference in their nocturnal behavior when I increased to 6 from my initial 2.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Just got one of these after toying with the idea of having one. They are like everyone says VERY reclusive so if you're hoping to see them out a lot, it probably won't be the fish for you. They like sandy substrates to bury themselves in. They also do "play dead" sometimes when startled. So watch for small movement before deciding if it has passed or not. However this makes catching them a snap once you find them. You can literally let them sit in the palm of your hand in the water and they won't move. Really interesting catfish overall.

Images

Banjo cat
Banjo cat
Banjo cat
Banjo cat