Leopard Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 818
Total Comments: 1690

Leopard Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

Information

Common Name: Leopard Cory
Proper Name: Corydoras trilineatus
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 15 - 25 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 6 cm

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
pH range: 6.0 8.0; dH range: 5 19 Corydorus trilineatus, or the Threestripe cory, is a South America fish native to the Central Amazon River basin. It is commonly mistaken for Corydorus julii, but can be distinguished by the larger amount of black on the dorsal fin. A typical, peaceful, schooling cory, these fish prefer groups of 5 or more and make excellent scavengers for the community tank. They enjoy the shade provided by caves and large-leafed plants. Threestripe cories are omnivorous and need a balanced diet of meaty and vegetable matter. Sinking wafers and pellets are useful to ensure that food reaches them past the top and mid-water fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Even though I only have one (his friend(s) died over time) Leopard Cory in my 20G tank, it's easily one of the happiest and most active fish I own. Their patterns are so beautiful and they pretty much take care of themselves by digging through the sand or rock substrate with their whiskers. I've had mine for 6 months or so and it is about 6cm long, so they grow to size quickly, but so far, I haven't noticed it growing any larger, so it's a great sized bottom-feeder for any active community tank, especially if you have plants. I am always finding mine playing through the leaves.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Thought mine were Julii Cories. Gues they are Leopard Cories. great little fish. Beautiful to look at.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have two in my 150 show tank and they are just comedians chasing one another here there and everywhere. There were just two at the store otherwise I would have bought more.

Your Avatar
I have one in my 30g community tank and he likes to just swim around. He hides out in the back sometimes.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
If you only have 1, you really should try to get another. They like to have friends. :)

H is for Hillstream

Your Avatar
I have one along with an albino cory, my leopard i named Sherlock Holmes(based of the modern movie sherlock because he seems dopey, and a little lazy) and my albino i named Watson(again based on the modern movie) because he does all the actual work. these two are bonded and can be seen swimming and resting and resting together. i love watching them. they are doing well in a tank that runs pH between 8.0 and 8.3

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Well I have a moderately planted 15gal. tank, that is well established. I have 3 of these C. Trilineatus. I personally dislike the moniker "Leopard Cory, as there is a genus of C. leopardus in existence, which features a much more narrow head. Upon thinking about and looking at C. Trilineatus, C. juli, and C. leopardus, I wonder how genetically different the three species are, and whether or not 2 of the 3 (juli and trilineatus) species are in fact the same species with minor geographical differences, to pattern and size. Can the species inter-breed? Will they interbreed? Is the offspring viable? Gnome on Corydoras please....

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I purchased 4 sickly young trilineatus from Petsmart almost out of pity and one died 5 days later. Its been 3 months now and two of the remaining three just spawned today, which I tried vainly to get good photos of.... They are housed in a 20 gallon fully planted low tech tank. The tank gets a few hours of sunlight a day along with the typical CFL growlight. They are housed with 4 C. aneus, 4 otocinclus, 2 nerite snails, one cherry shrimp and a female bristle nose. I do 1/3 water changes every 2 weeks and I did one today making it a 40% cool water change, dropping the tank to 74f which prompted the spawning. I feed a wide variety of food. Frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and veggies along with flake food, shrimp pellets and the occasional chicken and fish from my own plate. These cute corys are a great addition to the plant tank, a little shy but very worth it!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Can these be kept with discus at 28/29 degrees C as I saw maybe different temperature opinions? Heard they do well with discus too!! Thanks

Images

Leopard Cory
Leopard Cory
Leopard Cory